CA Media?

spmnarciso

What kind of calcium media are you using in your reactors? Anyone have any algae problems with Carib-Sea Arm?:notsure:

reefnut

I'm using ARM media with no algae problems...
A guy at our local marine society ran some tests on ARM media. This was his findings...
ARM: 0.82 mg/l PO4 to 3600 mg/l Ca giving a Ca:pO4 ratio of 4390
With that, there is very little phosphates being added by the media.

robchuck

I have a few friends who run ARM without any algae problems. I have Koralith media in my calcium reactor, but I haven't been running it long enough to notice any algae problems.

reefnut

golfish, just a FYI, the guy I was referring to above also tested geomarine. I should have posted this before but there were three medias he tested with the following results...
Geomarine: 1.76 mg/l PO4, 3640 mg/l Ca giving a Ca:pO4 ratio of 2068
ARM: 0.82 mg/l PO4, 3600 mg/l Ca giving a Ca:pO4 ratio of 4390
Caribsea Seafloor: 0.83 mg/l PO4, 3840 mg/l Ca giving a Ca:pO4 ratio of 4626
Geomarine (according to his testing) puts out more than twice the phosphates than ARM. Even at that I don't know if it's enough to worry about??

golfish

Originally posted by ReefNut
golfish, just a FYI, the guy I was referring to above also tested geomarine. I should have posted this before but there were three medias he tested with the following results...
Geomarine: 1.76 mg/l PO4, 3640 mg/l Ca giving a Ca:pO4 ratio of 2068
ARM: 0.82 mg/l PO4, 3600 mg/l Ca giving a Ca:pO4 ratio of 4390
Caribsea Seafloor: 0.83 mg/l PO4, 3840 mg/l Ca giving a Ca:pO4 ratio of 4626
Geomarine (according to his testing) puts out more than twice the phosphates than ARM. Even at that I don't know if it's enough to worry about??

Thanks for the info...like alway's my PO4's test out at zero using the Salifert test kit. That doesn't mean much to me tho. I'm still saving for that Hannah P04 meter so I can test ALL the phosphates in the tank..
One thing I've kind of noticed over the years is the guys with big sps tank use CC over just about anything out there.
FWIW,Zeovit does a pretty good job with PO4's

reefnut

I'm still saving for that Hannah P04 meter
I would like one too. Very curious what the readings would be!!

spmnarciso

I'm curious as to which one the majority use? If you read this thread please comment on which one you have used and any pros/cons.
Thanks

golfish

Originally posted by spmnarciso
I'm curious as to which one the majority use? If

Without a doubt the majority is going to be ARM by CaribSea. I've seen a few polls, most people use it...I've used, don't think I will again. The only difference I've seen between it and CaribSea Geo marine is the HUGE cost and the ARM melts a little easier. The melting thing could be good and bad.

spmnarciso

Originally posted by golfish
Without a doubt the majority is going to be ARM by CaribSea. I've seen a few polls, most people use it...I've used, don't think I will again. The only difference I've seen between it and CaribSea Geo marine is the HUGE cost and the ARM melts a little easier. The melting thing could be good and bad.

Why do you dislike it? (ARM) And why is the melting thing good or bad?

nm reef

I'm using ARM media ... totally new to the process so I can't comment from a experienced point of view...but as mentioned it seems a lot of folks use it with success.:thinking:

golfish

Originally posted by spmnarciso
Why do you dislike it? (ARM) And why is the melting thing good or bad?

its not that I "dislike" it, its just that there's cheaper stuff to use. Its one of those things that everybody seems to use when they start out for the first time with a reactor.
It does seem to melt easier but this wasn't a plus for me. if you let it get out of hand it will glog your reactor.