CA pacific ocean hermit crabs are ok for fish only tank?

brad pitt

i caught some hermit crabs from the ocean near me about the same size as the ones from my lfs maybe smaller. they have amazing color on there shells and there body is very light black and white stripes i dont have a pic of them because they died. but they where in my tank for about 1 month. what kind hermit crabs are those?
and also is it ok to add like snails and other simple non aggressive life to my tank from the pacific ocean??

renogaw

wouldn't think so unless you mimic their environment. most of our tanks are designed for mimicing the reefs (even if only fowlr) based on temp, salinity, and other water levels.

conejo

The Crabs Probably Died Because Of The High Temp You Have In Your Tank, Remeber That In California We Have Cold Water In The Pacific And Not Tropical. The Highest Temp We Can Get In The Pacific Ocean In California Is Not Even The Coldest One In The Tropical Reefs. If You Want To Collect Crabs And Stuff Like That From The Ocean In California; You Would Have To Buy A Chiller And Measure The Temp In The Ocean And Find Out In The Web Whats The Lowest And Higher Temp You Have In Your "local" Ocean. Otherwise You Will Kill Everything You Collect. Besides That...dont Forget To Check Salinity, Ph, Etc.

K

kikithemermaid

Yeah...the water is really cold here. They wouldn't be able to handle it in a warmer tank.

coral keeper

I also added hermits and a few fish from the CA coast when I was just beginning the reef hobby and the longest they lived was 1 month. They live in a very cold 55F water! So, I wouldn't suggest adding anything off the CA coast because they wouldnt live in tropical waters.

brad pitt

yeah i know all that but i have gone out on the pacific ocean and collected some rocks and on those rocks there were a couple of pacific anemones. they lived for a year so i went and got a couple of HUGE ones and they live for about another year then i sold them to one of my friends. and ive had a couple of snails in there from the pacific ocean too that lived for a while.