cabbage Leather..how high

tlk

How high in the rocks should my cabbage leather be? I am running 4x65pc along with an additional 110pc. I just added some lr and moved it up from around 12 inches from the surface to around 5 inches from the surface. The lights are approx 3 inches off the surface.

michaeltx

it will adapt to any level of light. if you place it near the top it will probably grow faster ( mine did) but it can go anywhere in the tank without a problem. just dont place it at the bottom of the tank the debris that can get washed up on it will keep it shedding alot if you do.
Mike

reefnut

Not sure but I don't think the like intense light. When I switched to MH I had my cabbage near the bottom and he still wasn't doing that good. I turned him sideways kinda away from the light and now he is happy again.

michaeltx

mine is oposite it has doubled in size since I added MH LOL
just goes to show each is different ;-▬
Mike

michaeltx

and after about 2 weeks under the MH close to the top of the water. wow I cant beleive the color difference never really noticed it till now. also its been a few months since adding MH and I dont have a recent pic. gotta get a holt of my camera (also need to get my tank back together uggh) LOL
Mike

michaeltx

Thanks I love leathers LOL
I think the colt and cabbage are the favorites of mine. but yeah I guess read what the coral is telling you and adjust from there.
Mike

tlk

Originally posted by MichaelTX
thats a kewl shape for a cabbage. how long have you had it?
Mike

I have had this for 2 months now.

nm reef

Cabbage leathers are a very hardy/adaptable coral that can thrive in many different settings. Mine has been fragged a few times and I currently have three seperate specimans in my system. Mine are located low on the reef under 4x65 10k PC's & 2x110 actinic VHO's...below is a pic of the main one lower/center on my reef.

T

thomas712

MTX- I just saw you pic and I have to tell you I immediatly thought of the thread where the guy had his 155 gallon tank with green water.
Thanks for reminding me of that nightmare :(
Thomas

michaeltx

how did I do that??? LOL
sorry for the mental discomfort I read a few of those posts in the last few days :(
Mike

T

thomas712

Just seems like your top pic was tinged green for some reason, why is that?
Thomas

michaeltx

O ok I missed that when I first read it.. LOL
I think the second pic looks more green than the firstone not real sure why those are both original just downsized to fit on the site.
the first is under 110 watts 6400K pc and 110 watts of atinic the second pic is under 2-250 watt 6500K iwasaki MH and 220 watts of PC atinic.
BTW the second pic is just before my hair algae outbreaks started.
TLK kewl mine took about 2-3 months to really start taking off it looked good for the first couple but really started growing after that.
Mike