Calcium/Alk Level Question

princefro

Ok,. Im still trying to get my snail deaths in order, I have purchased a few more test kits to find where the problem lies. FOWLR tank eventually going to be a reef tank
SG 1.022
Temp 79
NH3/No2 0
No3 5-10
alk 13dKH
cal 400
PH 8.5-9 (cant tell b/c of similar colors on test kit, buying a new one today)
I was curious if the alkalinity level would be effecting my snails dying all the time. I have some live rock in the tank, not much, but im poor and afford to buy alot at a time. There is also one blue line grouper in the tank and he is doing just fine. I am going to raise my cal level to appropriate levels, but was wondering if the high ALK level would do damage to my snails???
Thanks

jackri

Your calcium is just fine.. and your alk at 13dKH is just over the recommended 8-12. Which you really don't need high calcium either if you don't have a reef going now as nothing is really going to consume it (snails use a tiny bit but not enough to dose for IMO).
What kind of water are you using? Heavy metals may be the cause as inverts are more sensitive to them than fish.

bang guy

No, your ALK isn't out of line.
The Specific Gravity is a little low but not low enough to kill snails.
What is your acclimation procedure for snails?
Is there a chance that the water you are using contains zinc or copper?
Is there enough food in the tank for the snails?

princefro

WOW Awesome respond time Tech Team!!!!
Um, Im not going to lie, but im using distilled/ treated top off water. What test kit should I get to check for the trace metals in the water supply. I was concerned about the calc levels because Im trying to get my coraline to take off in the tank. That is the only reason Im so concerned with those levels, and also to get things in order for when I will be ready to make the transition to corals.

princefro

or should I say, what metal test kits should I have to check on the tank. My acclimation was keeping the snails in the bag and adding a shot glass of water every 20 or so minutes and continuing for a few hours.
I dont think its a food factor, because they are not going to starve in an hour. I put them in the tank and they really dont ever move again, until i throw them in the trash. I would think food supply if they died in a week or so, but the last two batches of snails, from two different supplies, have been dead in hours!!!

jackri

Wow, something in there must be really toxic to them. How long has your tank been set up?
The coraline will take off on its own but calcium does help and 400 is a good number.
Do you throw your snails in the trash after an hour cuz they don't move? Took hours for my astrea snails to get going after I got them shipped in and I just add water every 15 minutes for 45 minutes and out of 100 I had 1 or 2 die.

princefro

No I dont throw them out after an hour. They will move for an hour, and then never open their cover again. I usually remove them after a few days or so. I am starting to run out of options. The tank has been cycled for over a month now, with NO traces of NH3 anymore (for quite some time). Something in there is No Good for them, I just dont know what. HELPPPP.
The last batch I purchased, i only got 3 or 4 of them. I figured if it was a food issue, less snails should have survived longer than throwing in 10 or 20 like the time before. Im starting to get gun shy on buying more snails, but I know my tank needs them.

jackri

Did you buy the tank new or used?
If it was ever treated with copper that would really put a damper on your reef/invert plans.

bang guy

Death in hours sounds like osmotic shock to me. If it were something like copper it would probably take a few days.
The greater the difference in salinity between the water the snails are from and your tank the longer they need to acclimate.
First, get your salinity up to reef levels. Make sure the device you use to test salinity is accurate.
Put the snails in a clean bowl with no water. Remove any water that collects after a few minutes. Keep the snails warm but in the dry bowl for an hour or so.
After that clean all the salt creep off an area of glass above the waterline. Attempt to get the snails to attack to the glass above the waterline and let them crawl into the water at their own pace to self-acclimate.
Put any snails that won't attach back in the bowl and add a little tank water to the bowl. Every few minutes add some more water. Make sure you keep them warm (normal tank temp). I keep the bowl floating in the water to keep it warm but it doesn't matter how you do it.

princefro

The tanks has always been mine, always saltwater. Just not the expectations that I have for It now. It has never been treated with copper or anything else. I am just trying to get everything perfect before going to the next step. Unfortunatly Im stuck and the "getting the snails to live in my tank" step.
Im just torn if it is user error from me not acclimating properly, or if it was something in my water??? Again this is where the gun shy statement comes into play. Im not a fan of escargot so, I would rather see them living in my tank. hahaha
Would a copper test kit be smart to get?? I mean, whats one more test kit. Also, is it important to test for GH?? in a marine tank?? or is that accomplished with the KH kit??
Again thanks for all replies. You guys Rock

princefro

I have had one blue line grouper for the past 2 weeks. He is about 4-5 inches. No signs of any problems. Great Color, Healthy Fins, clear eyes etc...
(55gal w/ wet dry filter)

stanlalee

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/2979549
Did you buy the tank new or used?
If it was ever treated with copper that would really put a damper on your reef/invert plans.
copper doesn't leach from seals and tanks, thats a myth (according to seachem and my own experience. no tank has seen more copper than my old 30g I got around 1995 and reused for a reef 10yrs later). copper may leach from re used liverock and substrate if thats reused but you can still use the actual tank.

jackri

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/2980619
copper doesn't leach from seals and tanks, thats a myth (according to seachem and my own experience. no tank has seen more copper than my old 30g I got around 1995 and I converted it to a reef 10yrs later). copper may leach from re used liverock and substrate if thats reused but you can still use the actual tank.
Good to know and makes sense I guess.