Calcium and KH levels

daveb

I tested my Calcium and KH today. Calcium was over 900 and KH was 230. These figures are double what they should be.
The guys at the LFS of course told me they used the tap water here and had no problems and I believed them. I had mixed up some saltwater yesterday for a waterchange and had not used it yet, and so I tested it. Our tap water mixed with the salt mix here tested the same as my tank of course..
900+ Calcium and 230 KH. Is this the hardest water you have ever heard of or what?
Anyway, I of course ordered an RO/DI unit today. In the meantime, what should I do? Is there anything to do but start using better water and gradually letting those numbers get in the normal range? Is there any danger I should be particulary aware of?
This system has been running for over 9 months. I have never lost any livestock and only recently started adding some soft corals, which is what prompted me to test Calcium and KH. The corals I have added all seem to be doing quite well actually. All the polyps open up nicely, some mushrooms have doubled in size in the last month. So I am not totally freaked out at this point, but would surely appreciate some of the expert advice I have seen here in the last couple weeks visiting this message board.
Thanks ,
Dave

squidd

Originally posted by DaveB
I tested my Calcium and KH today. Calcium was over 900 and KH was 230. These figures are double what they should be.
...start using better water and gradually letting those numbers get in the normal range?

Those numbers DO seem to be way out of whack...
Double check you test kit/ proceedure and/or have a LFS double check/confirm these readings...
At this point (before these numbers are "confirmed" ) the "safest" thing to do, would be partial WCs with "known" good water...

daveb

Thanks Squidd,
I have had the water tested at two other places now. It is definitely that hard, no doubt about it. I am using some RO/DI water I am buying right now for 35 cents a gallon from a friend who has a unit. I am doing just that now. Slow water changes with this GOOD water. I think everything will be fine in a week or so..
Thanks, Dave
Let this be a lesson to everyone. Testing your water is necessary, no matter what "someone" tells you.