calcium help?

helpme74

ok i just started to put kalkwasser in my top off water and i can't get my calcium over 300 . I have been adding reef advantage calcium to raise my calcium everymorning . should i mix more stronger kalkwasser ? i thought kalkwasser just holds all my calcium levels ? should i stop putting kalkwasser in and see if i can get my calcium up ? please help

reefnut

What is your alkalinity level?? Don't try to raise the calcium level with the kalk... you're correct that it is intended to "hold" the levels. Reef Advantage will work to increase the calcium level but you need to know your alkalinity reading.

geoj

If you are not dripping you need to. The kalkwasser will have a tendency to drop magnesium and calcium. Magnesium helps block the alk minerals from bonding with calcium. The day after adding kalkwasser you should check your minerals.
Your low magnesium is why the calcium tops-out at such a low number.
PS: if you add to much alk buffer or calcium the water dose not hold it in solution and it precipitates out.

geoj

Here is how you do this first
Get Alkalinity to 3.5-4 meq/L wait 24 hours
Then, Magnesium 1250-1350 ppm wait 24 hours
Then, Calcium 380-450 ppm wait 24 hours test Alkalinity it will have come down
pH 8.1-8.3 will follow
Do not over dose you have to move all three slowly or the balance will push one out of solution.
If you don't want to add minerals yourself you can use a salt mix with higher calcium and magnesium. If you want to learn how to add alk and cal then keep trying and read up on it.