Calcium Hydroxide slurry????????

ifirefight

I bought Natureef reef former "kalkwasser". It is a concentrate. Ingredients say Calcium Hydroxide slurry with stronium additive. Is this the same thing as making my own using lime??? The directions are "VERY" vague
Just says mix 1 ounce to 1 gallon top of water.....does not say let it sit overnight,dump it in all at once,use only the "middle" portion of it,I searched this site ..others have asked similar questions ,,unable to find an answer. If anybody has a recommendation,Im all ears. Thanks ***)

bang guy

Start with a tsp per gallon and rig something to drip it in overnight if you can. Don't over mix it. Just stir and leave it. Don't allow any particulates to drip in with the limewater.
It's the same as any other lime IMO.
Make sure you are testing Calcium and Alkalinity and write down the levels every time you test so you can chart the levels.

vpotts28

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Start with a tsp per gallon and rig something to drip it in overnight if you can. Don't over mix it. Just stir and leave it. Don't allow any particulates to drip in with the limewater.
It's the same as any other lime IMO.
Make sure you are testing Calcium and Alkalinity and write down the levels every time you test so you can chart the levels.

Ifire and bang, I don't want to hijack this thread, please don't take it that way. I was going to post a similar thread yesterday, and something bang said was interesting. Bang I have been trying to figure out some kind of contraption to drip calcium hydroxide (kalk) , what did you rig up? Thanks and sorry.

earlybird

vpotts,
Something like this http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20060317195050/www.**************.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p_234871_FS17703D.jpg

ifirefight

Originally Posted by Vpotts28
Ifire and bang, I don't want to hijack this thread, please don't take it that way. I was going to post a similar thread yesterday, and something bang said was interesting. Bang I have been trying to figure out some kind of contraption to drip calcium hydroxide (kalk) , what did you rig up? Thanks and sorry.
Thanks for the reply Bang,thats what I will do. I am monitoring all my levels
Vpotts28..here is what Im using.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/261856/my-low-budget-dripper

bang guy

Originally Posted by Vpotts28
what did you rig up? Thanks and sorry.
What I have rigged will not work for most hobbiests because of space reasons.

vpotts28

Originally Posted by ifirefight
Thanks for the reply Bang,thats what I will do. I am monitoring all my levels
Vpotts28..here is what Im using.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/261856/my-low-budget-dripper
Nice, I also have some connections. My girlfriend is a bio-medical engineer, and I cannot wait to get my hands on some of this incredible gear. How do you have this hooked up to your aquarium? She can also get her hands on calcium hydroxide--free. That is all kalkwasser is. THANK YOU THANK YOU
My PH is sitting at 7.8 right now, hopefully this will raise it up.

ifirefight

I have a 130 gallon reef,with corner overflow. I mount the jug in a closet thats next to my tank,run the IV tubing in from behind the canopy and drip it into the corner overflow.You cant even see the tubing the way I do it.

vpotts28

Originally Posted by ifirefight
I have a 130 gallon reef,with corner overflow. I mount the jug in a closet thats next to my tank,run the IV tubing in from behind the canopy and drip it into the corner overflow.You cant even see the tubing the way I do it.

I do not have a sump or anything. I guess it would be possible to use maybe a utube to hang over top of the tank. This will raise my ph correct, I don't want to harm anything.

d0 thy d3w

isnt calcium hydroxide the stuff in ciggarettes that makes u lose ur hair?? and is also used in hair removal products?

bigarn

Originally Posted by d0 thy d3w
isnt calcium hydroxide the stuff in ciggarettes that makes u lose ur hair?? and is also used in hair removal products?
I think that's something Peroxide {SP} ..... Hydrogen maybe? :thinking:

d0 thy d3w

Originally Posted by bigarn
I think that's something Peroxide {SP} ..... Hydrogen maybe? :thinking:
lol hydrogen peroxide is the stuff that sells in a brown bottle at the

[hr]
...its for cleaning small wounds...on people..lol not fish

bigarn

lol hydrogen peroxide is the stuff that sells in a brown bottle at the

[hr]
...its for cleaning small wounds...on people..lol not fish
I know it's not used for fish .... I was replying to your question.... probably wrong though.

d0 thy d3w

its just somethign i saw one one of those cigarette commercials..the ones that say like "seek truth" or watever..they did this demonstration with these guys that had VERY hairy backs...and used wha im pretty sure was calcium hydroxide to remove hair from them to spell out the word "cigarettes" and said how its found in cigs and is also used in hair removal products

bang guy

Originally Posted by bigarn
what's the stuff used in nailpolish remover .... that may be it! ***)
Acetone?

d0 thy d3w

while Bang is right about acetone being in nail polish remover as well as paint thinner...its not what was advertised on the smoking commercial..i just find it interesting that sumthing that kills people slowly over time, and promotes hair loss can actually be good for a fish tank!! weird world we live in isnt it...

bang guy

while Bang is right about acetone being in nail polish remover as well as paint thinner...its not what was advertised on the smoking commercial..i just find it interesting that sumthing that kills people slowly over time, and promotes hair loss can actually be good for a fish tank!! weird world we live in isnt it...
Saturated Limewater has a PH over 12. That's high enough to turn your skin into soap. Contact should be avoided.

d0 thy d3w

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Saturated Limewater has a PH over 12. That's high enough to turn your skin into soap. Contact should be avoided.
wow!! thank god for latex gloves!

vpotts28

Ifirefight, if you are still around I have a few more questions about your iv setup. When you put the spike in the beginning of the iv unit into the cap on the milk jug did you silicone it in? Also I am assuming you used 1"-2" of flexible tubing to attach the spike and the non flex tubing you put into the jug, correct? Thank you in advance, my girlfriend brought the iv unit home last night (almost had to use it on myself from the shock I received after watching my emerald crab take a pinch at my nassarius snail), have the jug and am ready to go with these questions answered