Calcium issue with Instant Ocean.

speg

First I'll say that I'm using Salifert test kits for calcium. The saltwater I'm using is Instant Ocean. 12 gallon nano cube.
My problem: My calcium level yesterday was @ 275. I decided to use a additive to increase it slowly to around 400/420. Today it's @ 315.
I decided to test the saltwater I'm mixing up for water changes. The results were a calcium level of 275!
My question: I plan on slowly raising the calcium level for the tank using one of those part a/b additives as I've been doing since yesterday. Now, should I/can I add the same additive to the mixing saltwater to increase those levels as well, and would it be wise to do so?
Also, has anyone else experienced such a low calcium level with instant ocean? Should I try another salt brand? If so then which?

spanko

http://reefsaltanalysis.googlepages....lysis_0208.pdf

To help you easily compare the differences between essential elements contained in some of the top brand name sea salt mixes sold on the market, we compiled this quick reference elements comparison table based on actual test results that were conducted by the Hawai'i Institute of Marine Biology reported in Marlin Atkinson and Craig Bingman's "The Composition of Some Synthetic Seawater Mixes" article published in the March 1999 issue of Aquarium Frontiers Magazine, and in reference to other Web resources.
Although there are other elements and compounds to evaluate when buying a sea salt mix, in this table we only address those considered to be primary. Refer to Marlin Atkinson and Craig Bingman's The Composition of Some Synthetic Seawater Mixes Report for more details on Buffer System Components in relation to pH factors (see Table II), Nutrients (see Table III), and Trace Elements (see Table IV). The codes in this table reflect our own interpretation of the test results from this report. Also keep in mind that since the tests were conducted, some manufacturers may have made changes to their formulas

xcali1985

Whats the pH, Alk, temp, etc. for the saltmix also. Whats the salinty or SG. A higher SG = higher calcium. 1.022 will give you less calcium than 1.026

speg

Nice chart Spanko. Thank you. You feel it'll be an issue switching salts and/or correcting the current water's calcium?
Xcali1985:
Well I haven't tested the alk for the mixing water yet.
My tanks ph: 8.2 (I hate the color charts) (red sea test kit & tetra test)
Salt mixing: Looks to be slightly lower on the chart, but it's hard to tell with those stupid color charts.
Kh/Alk my tank: 8.3/2.97 (Salifert test kit)
Temp: my tank ranges 79-81/82 and the mixing water looks to be right about the same oddly enough. Probably because of the big mixing pump.
SG is right on 1.025 (refractometer)

spanko

Changing won't be a problem, just remember to go slow like normal water changes with new salt mix slow.

jacknjill

What additive are you using to raise your calcium? I'm having the same issue with my cube and instant ocean as well

speg

Originally Posted by JacknJill
http:///forum/post/3253296
What additive are you using to raise your calcium? I'm having the same issue with my cube and instant ocean as well
Kent Marine Tech CB parts A/B
Adding 1/3 of the recommended dose early in the morning to my cube way before the lights come on. Adding a higher amount to the mixing salt until my levels are correct.
I'll let you know how well it works.