Calcium levels?

squidworth

I would like to promote the growth of coraline algae (sp?). I have read that raising calcium levles will help. How high should they be and what product should I use to raise it. I have a salifert test kit and it measures 320 right now. I have a 75 gal fowlr and a wet dry filter with 1 clown in it.

jagnmeg99

There was a post a few days ago about this, I just looked and as of now its on page two under memeber name jordan 150, subject was "How can I get coraline algea?" See if that helps, I'm trying to find the answers out too.

twoods71

The exact level that calcium should be is one of those areas that many people have different opinions about.
I can tell you however that a level of 320 ppm is a little low.
Natural sea water levels are commonly measured at around 380.
However in the aquarium most recommend levels of at least 400 and to help promote coraline some recommend levels higher then that.
Keep in mind there are also other parameters that must be maintained as well. Alkalinity, PH, and SG to name a few.

susiepan

Hi,
I have purchased "Marc Weiss's" DNA and Black Powder to help promote this growth, and I'll tell you, just in the week and a half I've used it, I can see a difference in my LR..There are alot more Greens and even Orange, and the Purples are just getting deeper...I purchased these items at Big Al's Online, and they are fabulous...
Just my 2 cents
~Susie :D