Calcium Levels

wareagle

I am wondering what would be the best level to keep my calcium at. When I need to raise my calcium I add Seachem's Reef Comlete. Here a list of what is currently in my 30 gallon tank thats been up for a year now..
Oscellaris
2 purple fire fish
3 peppermint shrimp
13 or so hermits
1 emerald crab
1 purple linkia
6 or so snails
BTA
8 Different soft corals
When I do water changes its with Real Ocean Water (store bought) and i don't think it contains any calcium, i will have to check. Thanks for the advice

speg

For some crazy reason I seem to have the best results when keeping my calcium at like 350. Thats just me though.

drew2005

Ive been having good results with calcium at 430. I guess everyones tank is different. All depends on what stock you have in there and how fast the calcium is being used up.

wareagle

Thanks. I usually add it when needed in the morning and try to keep it around 390ish. I just wasn't sure if you even need to keep it that high when you don't have any hard corals. I know the inverts use it up

dogstar

Natural Sea Water should have Cal. in it.
It is nessecary with alk to maintain a stable Ph. NSW has around 400 ish and the right balance of carbonate hardness can determine if it can be more or less. Although many inverts like hard corals and crustations do need extra amounts to help them grow and will use some up and a stable replacement should be done to keep the balance of alk stable so the Ph stays stable. I hope this makes scense. If your testing and adding only the right amounts and all other levels are good then your doing fine.
I keep my Cal around 450 becuase I have a larger tank with alot of corals ect. too.

wareagle

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Natural Sea Water should have Cal. in it.
I tested the real ocean water and it has calcium levels of 420

hkdonreefs

Different reefs have different levels. Between 350 and 500 is good. Stability is key. Keep alk. and cal. stable and its all good.