Calcium Levels

tonyadenise

Is too much calcium in my tank harmful to the environment. My current levels are above 500 ppm. Any help greatly appreciated.

nm reef

First I would check the accuracy of your test results...maybe get a trusted LFS to run a test and compare results(what test are you using?)
What additives are you using to develope such high levels? You could cut back on additives and let the calcium levels drop...or do small water changes to bring things back in line. A level of 500ppm is not extremely bad and should pose no major problems...but could cause problems with pumps and powerheads. I'd gradually lower the levels and figure the source of such high levels.:cool:

tonyadenise

I use Seachem Reef Complete for Calcium, I also Seachem for all additives. I add calcium twice a week, as well as all the others. Iodine and CA one day Carbonate, Strontium, Vitamin & Amino acids, and Trace Elements the next day, skip two days and repeat averaging twice a week.
Test kit for CA is by SALIFERT and tested agains another test kit with same reults.
Thanks for your reply.

reef fool

I asked the same question at the LFS and was told that too much calcium will stress out the fish. I was told to stay at 400ppm but below 450ppm to avoid this.

broomer5

tonyadenise,
500 ppm calcium is high in my opinion - but it also depends on what's in your tank. Is this tank heavy sps/hard corals ?
What all you keeping ?
What's your pH and alkalinity look like - testwise ?

adrian

Im not so sure too high of a Ca concentration would be harmfull, never heard of it affecting fish, and the Ca level can only get so high before it will begin to precipitate out of solution whcih is said to be in the area of 500ppm. In some corals growth may increase with higher levels, such as many sps, but for most corals levels between 380-450 are acceptable. I wouldnt worry about it much, unless the high level starts to affect your alkalinity. HTH