Calcium Reactor///Biodenitrator ???'s

kylev

Hi everyone-
I have a 280g L tank, the basic info and lot of pics can be found here
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/forum/thread/385598/280g-reef-tank-pics
My first question is, do you feel a calcium reactor is a good investment for my tank? My calcium has always tested high and the alk is usually between 8-9. But I like the idea of having it as constant/balanced as possible especially when there's good possibility for work to require me to leave weeks at a time starting the first of the year. I do not have a lot of SPS but would like to slowly acquire more and also add to the three clams that I have.
The next question is whats everyone thoughts on the biodenitrators? I've been looking at the Aquaripure and the Coralline version that uses sulfur. The concept seems great but I have allready invested in a nice skimmer. Would these work well together? My nitrates have recently hit as high as 20ppm but usually stay around 5-10. The highest they have been is 40ppm about 1.5 months ago. If one of these units could keep me at a constant 0-5 with minimal maintenance I feel it would be money well spent. It would also allow a little more peace of mind while out of town. The cleaner water to keep my SPS alive with fish suchs as triggers would be a good benefit too.
I'm very curious to hear any input. I've read into both pieces of equipment I just can't decide if my tank warrants them. Thanks for any and all advice.
If you'd like anymore info on the tank theres a link to the diary below
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/forum/thread/374812/280g-fowlr-tank-diary

acrylic51

My vote is neither at this point!!!!! You state your Ca is usually high and fine, and the demand isn't really calling for more......A Ca reactor is nice, but they can be a hurdle if your away and it malfunctions as well.....
As far as the denitrator, I see no real need at this point as well. Why spend money on equipment when not needed....Spend it on more corals......
Looks very sweet by the way!!!!!!

acrylic51

Stock it heavier with corals and see what your demands are and then you can honestly justify the reactors.....

A

alozadan

I will try first the Koralin BioDenitrator; this will keep your Nitrates at zero and will give you a little bit of Calcium, after few weeks.