Calcium Reactor/ Kalwwasser?

I understand what a Calcium Reactor does; but I would like to know how good are they. Do you still have to raise and lower your level of injection? I now use KALWWASSER in a altomatic top-off system. My levels very in the month a few times over what they are supposed to be; ex. yesterday they where 520ppm.
I would also like to know if anyone has built one of these things. In the store they run up pretty good. I have biult my own sump-refugium-skimmer-canopy-top-off system ol and I run a construction buss. so I think I'm up for it. I need a few pointers to start one. I have learnt after I buy it I can build it. I just have to see it run! I'm hoping here someone else has done did this.

scsinet

Linking to his site is a capital offense here, but if you google "Melev's Reef" you will find a site where they outline how to build what looks to be a respectable design.
CA reactors work very well, but they are a bit fiddly to set up, and their up front cost is enormous compared to a kalk setup. If you use one with a pH controller they are virtually foolproof.
I run kalk myself, but I've been thinking of making the switch. I have a planted tank in my office at work with a Co2 injection system, and if I have to take that tank home, I would definitely do it since I am no longer paying for a second Co2 tank/regulator.

Thanks that is what I will seek first. I would like to make the change as my corals grow in value and size but I don't want no guess and game!