Calcium Reactor vs. Kalkwasser Reactor

cdposey

I was going to purchase a calcium reactor and somebody told me to get a kalkwasser reactor instead? Does anyone have an opinion, what is the difference, is one easier to use than the other? Just want to get user opinions before I deicide which way I should go. Thanks for the great message board, just started on this thing yesterday.

druluv

Originally Posted by cdposey
I was going to purchase a calcium reactor and somebody told me to get a kalkwasser reactor instead? Does anyone have an opinion, what is the difference, is one easier to use than the other? Just want to get user opinions before I deicide which way I should go. Thanks for the great message board, just started on this thing yesterday.
I would get both.

golfish

why would you get both, what exactly would adding a kalk reactor do for me?

Do you have am Auto top off system already in service?

cdposey

no I need that but unfortunately I have got one yet, any suggestions on how to DIY auto top off. I add it manually about 2 or 3 gallons a day.

golfish

no I need that but unfortunately I have got one yet, any suggestions on how to DIY auto top off. I add it manually about 2 or 3 gallons a day.

There's lots of info on this BB...I'd do a search and come back later with any questions. You'll need auto top off before you setup a kalk reactor.
I have both, used both and no longer use my kalk reactor. A Ca reactor will keep up with the Ca and Alk demand of a fully stocked tank, a kalk reactor most likely wont. The problem with a Ca reactor is they tend to lower pH levels, Kalk reactors tend to raise pH levels so they complement each other...
FWIW, I use a reverse flow Ca reactor, these tend to use less CO2 so they don't effect the tanks pH as much