Calcium Reactor

mrdc

To get or not to get?
How do they work and are they easy to work? A particular brand to get?
Just thought about getting some thoughts from you all before I start doing my internet research.

snakeblitz33

Ill be getting an octopus brand CR125 single chamber for my 75g sps tank soon. Different reactors require different sized medias. Got to check with manfacteror specs before purchasing media. An octopus reqctor requires course media. Ill be using ARM brand because from my research it dissolves a little easier at a higher pH (6.7-6.8) than dome other medias.
Ca reactors use co2 to lower the pH of the water inside the reaction chamber to dissolve the calcerous media within. It not only adds calcium, but also alkalinity, magnesium and even trace elements - that other manual dosing methods dont.
Ca reactors are downers - meaning that if improperly calibrated, the co2 and effluent will decrease your tanks pH. Whereas dripping kalkwasser is an upper - it increases pH. If a ca reactor is calibrated properly, there is no threat of pH swings in a tank. Especially when paired with pH probes that turn the regulator on and off as necessary to maintain proper pH.
Hth.