Calcium Test question

n2retics

Ok I tried researching this but had no luck. I bought a Aquarium Pharamaceuticals Calcium test kit. What I was wanting to know if anyone had a pic of the end color so I would know that I am looking at the right color.
Thanks
Jerry Burris

briand7878

I have the same test kit. I will try to post a pic later im working right now. you will see a very distinct color difference between the pink and purple. mine for instance usually stays pink for 20 drops of the second bottle then drop 21 instantly changes it to deep purple. ill post one later if i remember.

n2retics

So are you suppose to count the number of drops it takes to make it purple or till it turns blue. Mine usually turns blue around 17 drops. I have added purple up that last two days, and it still will not go up. Some one give me a honest opinion on purple up. What do I need to do to get the calcium level up, and will to much calcium hurt my fish? I have a 65 gallon tank, with around 75 lbs of live rock, live sand bed, as for fish I have two clowns, 1 yellow tang and 1 flame angel, as for corals I havearound 60-70 mushrooms, a green open brain, a fox coral, a green stylophora, bubble tip anomone, cleaning crew I have snails, 4 pepermint shrimp, hermit crabs, well I think that is about it. Any help would be very appreciated.
Jerry Burris

D

dennis210

If you want to raose your calcium you also have to know what yor Alk is. I try to run Ca at 440 -460 and Alk at 200 ppm CaCO3 or 11.2 dKH. When you know what your parameters are and still wish to raise calcium try Turbo calcium or reef complete.
IMO don't waste time with purple up. Also how old is your system?

n2retics

My tank has been up and running for 3 years now. What kind of test kit do you recommend for Alk. and if it is low what do I need to raise it.

n2retics

I would like to thank everyone giving me advice and information on this subject, my LFS WELL, I better stop there.

D

dennis210

For three years now I have only used Turbo calcium, super buffer, and reef complete.
They have worked ok and been able to monitor and keep my levels where I wanted.
But that said I just purchased kalkwasser mix so I can drip it with RO water everyother day and not have the normal 2.5 gallon evaporation top off every Friday.
For test kits I use Hagen. The alk is in there hardness test kit. You can toss the GH test side and once you have it just replace the KH reagent as needed. Your results will come in ppm CaCO3. Most people talk in dKH units, but the conversion is easy. NH3, NO2, NO3,
PO4, Alk, and Ca test kits are all available in the Hagen line. I bought the Master kit and added a Red Sea Mag test kit, a digital pH meter ( I can't stand color titration charts), and a refractometer. "Gadgets make me happy" If I could afford it all tests would be electronic instead of chemical titration.