calcium to add or not to add

lepete

Get a calcium test kit. Heavily sps/lps tanks require more frequent dosing because the corals will absorb calcium at a faster rate. You want to keep your calcium level at minimum 400 ppm for lps/sps tank.
If I dont dose my 90 gallon for 2 weeks, my 400ppm will go down to 280ppm. All I have is one LPS. Remember - snails, pods, shrimps, coralline algae, etc also require calcium.

reefnut

I agree... test the calcium and alkalinity level and let the readings you get determine if you need to dose or not. If you have any sps corals, they need a very stable water chemistry...
Most mature reefs will require regular calcium and alkalinity additives.

chipmaker

What does your calcium test tell you.....you do have a test kit right? If it is low then add it......I like to keep my calcium at as near a constant level (as well sa other things) as possible.......things tend to do much better in a stabil constant environement......

crashedin0

no i dont test cal or alk
i was dong ok with water changes with my softies
now i got a brain some candy canes and other little guys so time to pump it up i am gonna have to buy stuff in the bottle
**** you !!!!1
!!!!!eleven!!!!11!!!
while im on the topic what about iodine (sp?)

reefnut

I'd say no to the iodine. Most of the trace elements can be replaced with water changes... calcium and alkalinity a lot of the times can't.
Look into B-Ionic two part additive. It provides a balanced solution of calcium, alkalinity, magnesium and even other trace elements.

crashedin0

while today i took some water to big als heard some good stuff bout them on this site so i passed by even though its 2 hours away its tuesday wanted to see some shark action :jumping:
and they had free water test

well then he said he had no more calcium test !!!

but everything else was perfect
(proud of that for a 10 gal)
while i was there looking at everything i could not buy :mad: (low funds money on friday)
i thought food !!!!! :thinking:
could the be a food he liks plankton or something i am starting slow going from softies to cady canes :help:
and well lfs told me my lights are good enough and they didnt need food so i belived him :mad:
well we hav all been there