Calcium too high?

I have a Calcium reading of about 560mg/l without adding any calcium to the tank.. Is that too high for corals and inverts?

ifirefight

I would guess thats a false reading. I would need more info in regards to your tank to elaborate further. If it is that high....it might possibly be snowing in your tank. Calcium will not get that high by itself. If you have not added any supplement ..than your test kit is off.

who dey

Originally Posted by ncoastconstceo
I have a Calcium reading of about 560mg/l without adding any calcium to the tank.. Is that too high for corals and inverts?
IME most salt levels i've tried usually are low in calc content. What test kit are you using?? how old is tank?? what corals do you have?? and what salt and how frequent do u change ur water??

larryndana

i've been getting readings that high on Oceanic salt.
test your alk, if its low you need to dose and get it up some. this will also lower your cal some when dosing alk.

I an using Oceanic salt in a 180 setup, the water perameters are as follows:
Temp:78.6
PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
CA: 560
KH: 160

larryndana

when you dose for cal it will also lower alk
when you buffer for alk it will also lower cal
they both work together to stablize your ph.
a simple way to look at it.
i would suggest getting something like Kent's superbuffer-dKH to raise your alk.

My test kit reads out in mg/l not PPM. as far as I can tell I'm very hard water. I think I need to lower the alk but not sure what I should use.

larryndana

Originally Posted by saltfreak4
mg/L is ppm :)
didn't know that, my test kit is meq/l. thanks for the info.

larryndana

Originally Posted by ncoastconstceo
thank for the info, I did not know that... what should I do about the CA at 560?
just raise your alk, it will lower you cal some. i don't think anything is wrong with 560, it will drop when you dose for alk like i said and also if your tank water is lower it will drop as well.

S

saltfreak4

Chemistry major :) I agree, raise the alk a bit and check to see if that balances out the ca.