Calcium

dozer

I have a 65 gallon that has been set up for 2 weeks now. Tested the water to day and for Ca got 600 mg / l. Is this good or bad?

dogstar

Yes, thats high for Calcium, ideally should be 400-450 mg/l...
Test alkilinty also, around 3-4 meq/L is good. the two work together and one will change the other.
Test new water after mixing but befor adding to tank to see what its levels are.....If the levels are good in the new water, then waterchanges dureing and after cycleing is good and will help bring the levels back in line and stay where needed.

120reefer

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Yes, thats high for Calcium, ideally should be 400-450 mg/l...
Test alkilinty also, around 3-4 meq/L is good. the two work together and one will change the other.
Test new water after mixing but befor adding to tank to see what its levels are.....If the levels are good in the new water, then waterchanges dureing and after cycleing is good and will help bring the levels back in line and stay where needed.

Agreed... If you notice, your PH is Low as well, most likely caused by the high calcium as well... like Dogstar stated above 400-450 is ideal for calcium... I'm sure your Alk is low too, so i would get testing soon. You can always buy a Calc/Alk buffer to help stabilize those 3... but I would recommend using a good high quality salt. There are many guys on this site (including myself) who use NO additives what so ever. Additives can cause big problems if not used properly, so IMO, if you use good salt.. you won't have problems under normal conditions..

120reefer

Originally Posted by dozer
Thanks for the help! What salt would you recommend?
I'm sure many will agree... Tropic Marine or SeaChem are probably the best out there today. I personally have been using SeaChem for quite some time now with fantastic results