calcium ?

cantbstopd

what calcium level is concidered too high? ive seen numbers into the 500's, i think 450 is normal (without looking at my test), but my numbers are way above that. how do i get my levels back down? i only use fiji gold in my top off water and reef complete 2x a week. i dont want to neglect my strontium and magnesium, which reef complete maintains..... :thinking: any suggestions? :help: thanks.....

teen

what is your alk/ mag. at? what level is your calcium at that your saying its above normal?
id say 580-600 is too high. at that point you get calcium deposits on pumps/ equipment and it can damage them.
id say, back off the calcium additives while trying to keep your DKH around 8 or 9 and just let the calcium come down naturally.

cantbstopd

sorry bout the delay....my internet went down for a few hours.
my alk is a little high at 3.31, so ill be adjusting that too but my calcium is way out of control, unless its my test. my calcium if its right is at 860 :scared: . so im gonna take a sample of water to my lfs and have them second check it just to be sure. im using a salifert test and according to the label it is not out of date, so i dont know???? im hoping its the test, please let it be the test
. i dont have any calcium deposits anywhere, and all my pumps are running ok......so im praying that its the test......
thanks for the input though. ill find out on monday because my fish store doesnt do testing on the weekend

fishcake

Your test kit is junk!
If it were at 860 your tank would be snowing,
precipitating!
ALk at 3.31 is fine!
Retest your calcium with a different test kit and then take action.
Salifert makes awesome test kits but even they can ship out bad kits!

teen

saliferts test kits usually pull bad numbers because of user error. read the directions and try again. i highly doubt you calcium is at 860, as said above.

frankthetank

I'll third that, I've never seen someone have an 860 calcium reading. And is it me, or is his alk low, not high? I'm not all that up to par on alk, but 3.31 doesn't sound high at all.

teen

Originally Posted by FranktheTank
I'll third that, I've never seen someone have an 860 calcium reading. And is it me, or is his alk low, not high? I'm not all that up to par on alk, but 3.31 doesn't sound high at all.
its not dkh, its mg/l