Calibrating Refractometer!!!!!

puff0224

I just bought a refractometer along with 53 mS fluid. However, what does the 53 mS equal as ppt and sg? Thanks!

puff0224

dont have either...and besides the cal fluid is supposed to be a little more accurate...however I have the fluid and no reference to what the 53 mS refers to...help!!

salty blues

Originally Posted by puff0224
http:///forum/post/2700606
dont have either...and besides the cal fluid is supposed to be a little more accurate...however I have the fluid and no reference to what the 53 mS refers to...help!!
If you don't have/use ro/distilled water, you may have bigger problems than calibrating your refractometer.

puff0224

I dont have the cash for ro units...so tap supply is what I have to work with. The general consensus is that one must obtain 10K for a 55 gallon set up: Ro units/high grade skimmers/huge sump/60 lbs of live rock/4 powerheads/dual metal halides...blah blah....well all sounds great when one has 10K laying around under coach cushions and such. Sounds a bit overkill to me (maybe not) but my 7 month old tank is doing quite well so my 2K investment is "good enough".
Sorry...a bit disgruntled that no matter how much money I spend on my tank...its still not considered "suitable for life". Anyway the portable refractometer I purchased barely calibrates to 35 ppt with the 53 mS solution. In order to obtain 35 ppt...I had to get the cal

[hr]
as tight as I can...is there a problem here?? Could this be a temp issue??? I plan on varying with lfs this weekend...

florida joe

go to your local store and buy a gallon of distilled water for about $1. it will give you enough water to cross check for years

puff0224

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2702710
go to your local store and buy a gallon of distilled water for about $1. it will give you enough water to cross check for years
I will have to look for it...it could help in semi-varifying my 53 mS calibration. Thanks!