Calling all 180 gal owners

klongo

I'm in the planning process for upgrading to a 180 gal tank. The lights have me so confused. I have PC lights on my 35 gallon and I'm pretty happy. My eventual goal is a tank with some large angels, so there won't be much coral in my tank (although I may try a few and hope for the best) so I'm not sure I need MH. I currently have 2-65w PC lights over my tank in a 30" fixture.
If I go with PC or VHO - do I need to use 72" bulbs? Or would two 4x96w 36" long fixtures do the trick?
I would love it some 180 gal owners would list what their lighting systems for me!
Thanks

robchuck

If you're happy with the PC lights, I see no reason to change to VHO for the 180. I used to have a 150 gallon FOWLR (72"x18"x29") lit by 4x96W PCs in 36" fixtures. There were 2 bulbs (one actinic and one 10,000K) in the 36" fixtures mounted side-by-side over the tank. The PCs provided a decent amount of light, and kept enough life on the rock to support a French Angel and a Foxface.

ohsofishy

I am also in the process of planning to set up a 180 gallon tank. I have questions about the lighting needed also. Right now i have a carpet anemonie and i would like to pick up some live rock. What kind of lighting would i need to provide strong enough lighting for the live rock and also on this web site it has a zoo orange i would like to purchase, that needs strong lighting. How much and what kind of lighting would i need to provide for these?:help:

wamp

Over a 180 that will house any corals, I would uses a minium of 175w Watt Halides.
You could use Compacts but you will need a ton of them to equal 1 halide.
If you do not plan to house corals that need strong lighting, I would run VHO ro PC.

aquajon

on top of my 180 i am running to ice capp 400watt mh, and 2 5' vho's and everything seems to grow nice... i also mounted 2 fans blwoing air across the lights to keep them cool. my water temp never gets above 82. but now i added a chiller and it keeps it right at 79. good luck