Calling all acrylic glass people!!!

sparty059

Ok, so I'm going to be taking down my tank shortly. While I do this I'm going to be making a couple of fixes to my tank. The first and foremost will be removing all of the scratches on my acrylic. This is where I will need some help. I know there are tools out there to make this easy so I wanted to find out which tools you would all suggest. I have some minor scratches and some deep DEEP scratches that I need removed. I'm a bit leery that I'll be able to do this because my buddy works in a glass shop and came over and the first thing he said when he saw the scratches was... "Wow, that'll be a b&@%h to get out... if even can..." he's been working with glass for over five years now so he has a good idea of getting scratches out of glass, but hasn't had much experience getting scratches out of acrylic. So again, tools, items, possible to get scratches out?

S

saxman

Polishing acrylic can be time consuming, but it can be done (I've done it a few times).
The real trick is to work in sections, and get the large scratches out before addressing the rest of the tank.
Use "micro mesh" (AKA "crystal bond") polishing paper. There's a kit that has all of the various grits you need, but you may need to get more paper, depending on the size of your job.
Here's the best hint:
Always polish perpendicular to the scratches you're trying to remove. This tells you when it's time to change to a finer grit. For instance, you'll likely begin with 1500 grit...polish until the scratch is gone. Then change grit size (I believe the next one is 3000 or 4000 grit) and polish perpendicular to you your 1500 grit scratches. When those are gone, change to 6000 grit and polish 90* to the previous scratches. Do this down to the 9000 grit. Once you've taken care of the larger scratches, and everything is looking pretty good, use Novus 3 polishing slurry on an automobile buffer (I got a cheap one for like $20), and move to Novus 2, then you're done.
Use lots of water during the whole process and clean/replace the paper often.
You can also use the paper down to 12,000 grit to remove scratches from a filled tank if you get any bad ones.
I used to micropolish electronic components down to 0.03 micron slurries, and this is the best way to do it.

2quills

Currious about this as well. I haven't tried it yet. I've searched out some videos of guys doing it in the past and the process seems similar to just as Saxman described. The only thing I might be able to add is that in addition to to the Novus 3 and 2 is that you can finish it off with Novus 1 to help restore it to that nice factory lustered finish when you're done. I'm about to finish working on my sump hopefully by the end of this holiday weekend and I plan to finish polish it with the novus 1. I ordered my stuff through Ridout Plastics, the only thing that I didn't see them offer there for polishing and scratch removal purposes is the micromesh sandpaper that Saxman was talking about.

J

jstdv8

I had to start with 1200 grit wet dry paper, then 2000 grit, then the novus #3 and then the novus #2.
I took out scratches that were so plentiful you couldnt see the back wall of the tank through all the scratches, someone used the wrong cleaning device for years.
make sure the tank is absolutley spotless before using the polish or you will make more scratches with even a speck of sand or grit

S

saxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/386408/calling-all-acrylic-glass-people#post_3393932
Currious about this as well. I haven't tried it yet. I've searched out some videos of guys doing it in the past and the process seems similar to just as Saxman described. The only thing I might be able to add is that in addition to to the Novus 3 and 2 is that you can finish it off with Novus 1 to help restore it to that nice factory lustered finish when you're done. I'm about to finish working on my sump hopefully by the end of this holiday weekend and I plan to finish polish it with the novus 1. I ordered my stuff through Ridout Plastics, the only thing that I didn't see them offer there for polishing and scratch removal purposes is the micromesh sandpaper that Saxman was talking about.
Once the water is in, you'll never notice the difference between Novus 2 and Novus 1, altho N1 might be a good idea for the exterior.
If you skip going down to finer grit, you have to spend a LOT more time with the Novus slurries.
Here's a link for the kit that contains the various grit sizes: https://www.saltwaterfish.com/Scratch-Remover-Kit_p_1882.html
I bought the micro-mesh from Rockler's Woodworking when I needed more.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstdv8 http:///forum/thread/386408/calling-all-acrylic-glass-people#post_3393947
I had to start with 1200 grit wet dry paper, then 2000 grit, then the novus #3 and then the novus #2.
I took out scratches that were so plentiful you couldnt see the back wall of the tank through all the scratches, someone used the wrong cleaning device for years.
make sure the tank is absolutley spotless before using the polish or you will make more scratches with even a speck of sand or grit
Agree with the 1200 wet/dry sandpaper and work your way out.....The micro mesh works as well, but honestly I'd use the wet/dry for the deep scratches.....I've used the Novus quite a bit over the years, but they make a spray; and I can't recall the name, but the bottle is white, with a red label, but is specifically for finish polishing, and to prevent water spots, and finger prints and such once your detailing your work. This spray makes the acrylic so slick, that I have to remember not to do the bottom of pieces, because you can literally slide a huge sump clean off a table with barely any effort after using it. I will try to find the polish and post.

2quills

Yep, actually just walked in from mowing the grass and my stuff just showed up via UPS. Novus 1 is for cleaning, leaves a lustrous shine that resists fogging, repels dust and eliminates static as well as protects against smudges and scratching (white bottle, blue label). Novus #2 for fine scratches and #3 for heavy scratches.
So it's basically the cleaner and protectant. Sparty, in case you don't know, you don't ever want to use windex on your acrylic tank or any alcohol based cleaners.

J

jstdv8

#3 by itself did almost nothing for my extensive scratches even after 3 tries. depends on your scratches I guess

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/386408/calling-all-acrylic-glass-people#post_3394049
Yep, actually just walked in from mowing the grass and my stuff just showed up via UPS. Novus 1 is for cleaning, leaves a lustrous shine that resists fogging, repels dust and eliminates static as well as protects against smudges and scratching (white bottle, blue label). Novus #2 for fine scratches and #3 for heavy scratches.
So it's basically the cleaner and protectant. Sparty, in case you don't know, you don't ever want to use windex on your acrylic tank or any alcohol based cleaners.
Forget mowing the grass!!!!!! Get busy building that sump!!!!!!

sparty059

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/386408/calling-all-acrylic-glass-people#post_3394049
I've heard never to use Windex spraying on the tank... but could if I spray in a towel away from the tank and then wash that way... is that still a big no no? Cause I've done that quite a bit...
Everyone thank you for the info!

2quills

Yes, Sparty. The ammonia in the cleaner causes a chemical reaction with the acrylic. Every once in a great while might not be such a noticeable thing because it would be a gradual change but repeated usage will cause your acrylic to haze and it stresses the acrylic. I would go with an actual plastics cleaner/polish like the novus 1 or the brillianize that Shawn posted.
Shawn, I'm workin on it lol. We finally got a little rain lastweek and the grass just took off before I knew it. Supposed to rain all weekend coming up so unfortunately it had to be done. That link you posted is for Ridout Plastics store, that's where I ordered my stuff from.

sparty059

Here's another good question for the acrylic experts. When I bought the tank it had a small amount of sticky stuff dried on it and it wasn't coming off. It almost looked like it was chipped on the outside, well, I decided I would try and use goo gone... it worked! However, now I have a permanent haze in the area I've used the goo gone... any way of removing that?

2quills

You might be able to work it out while you're doing the scratch removal bit. Probably depends on how bad it is.

acrylic51

You might be able to sand it out......I have another trick that might work, but I won't say anything till you try sanding it out....It's not for the faint at heart!!!!!
I use this trick if I get a little sloppy in gluing, and works, but I only did it as a last resort.....
Corey you should get yourself 1 of those little acrylic scrapers.....I love using mine for rounding over the edges of acrylic when doing baffles.....Puts a super nice round finish on them.

2quills

I got one Shawn. The little blue handle one with the three different edges. You're talking about flame polishing aren't you? I'd thought about that but not sure if I should suggest it.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/386408/calling-all-acrylic-glass-people#post_3394096
I got one Shawn. The little blue handle one with the three different edges. You're talking about flame polishing aren't you? I'd thought about that but not sure if I should suggest it.

Damn!!!!! That's scary........I do it in a pinch, but you have to be super careful doing it, since the area is already stressed......Again would be last resort.....