Calling all experts(Morish idol)

tx reef

lion_crazz, dogstar, or bang guy was the one to post this nformation and I can't find the link to the guy that has them.
Maybe one of these folks will chime in before I find the link.

clekchau

Originally Posted by TX Reef
lion_crazz, dogstar, or bang guy was the one to post this nformation and I can't find the link to the guy that has them.
Maybe one of these folks will chime in before I find the link.
there is a 40 page thread on moorish idols and noone seems to be able to have any long term success. i wish this wasn't the case, i think they are spectacular but better left in the ocean like alot of fish. one guy named paulb has one, he has to go diving for sponges and special algae to feed him lol
here is his take on the moorish idol
Zfunk, don't get a false sence of security about your moorish Idol. I have never had one that did not eat, I do not think food is their only problem. These fish can eat for a year and look great then drop dead for no apparent reason. I have seen it too many times. It may be that they need to live in mated pairs as I have never seen them alone. They may not be able to adjust to captivity after a certain age, they may have to mate every so often. Most fish will live over ten years with no problem but not an Idol. At least I have never heard of one in a tank of 100 gallons or so reaching ten years, if one or two do they are in the vast minority, I would say most live a year or two which stinks.
I am experimenting with Selcon and different foods and I even went to Tahiti to study them. Today I collected some local sponge to see if he will eat it. The sponge will not live in my tank for long so I have to remove it in a day or two.
Take care,
Paul

daj0424

Well, I can understand that some people feel that certain fish should remain in the ocean but I bet a few years back some people thought it was unheard of to keep salt water fish in a home aquarium at all. As new technology becomes available the entire saltwater fish hobby changes.
I can see people flaming a rookie if they purchase a MI or any difficult fish for that matter but others that have been in the hobby for a while and are looking to advance their skills should continue to try difficult fish given the right opportunity. Like mine, where the fish was about to die and I took it off their hands at a fraction of the cost.
These posts that we read everyday are not intended to bash anyone’s decision, they are set up to inform others and allow for people to learn a lot from others mistakes. Negative energy just makes others think less of you. Always keep that in mind when writing a response.
I intended this tread to be informative since their is not much out their on Moorish idols and I will keep it going with another update for all that will read this searching for answers.
I have read that many feel that excellent water quality is a must for the Moorish idol to survive. I have to say that my water quality is not the best and so far it appears to be on its way to a healthy life. I went out of town over the weekend and when I got back I had a lot of brown algae on my sand. After looking into the situation I noticed that my protein skimmer had not been working. I did a water test and my nitrates were about 80 ppm, which was up about 60ppm from normal.
I have my protein skimmer working now but if this fish is very sensitive to water quality then it would have perished last weekend.
I am still feeding pellets as a main source of food. I feed Spectrum pellets for the first and last feeding of the day. I feed formula 2 pellets at least once a day and I will feed frozen food for angels (with sponge in it) once every other day.
I will also throw in a claim or a mussel about once a week. It really enjoys that meal. I noticed that the color on my MI is great and it is now getting along with all the fish in the tank.
Yes, I did trade in the maroon clown at a local fish store for a credit towards the Yellow eye tang.
That is all for now. If anyone has any other care advice they would like to share it is always appreciated.

doody00

daj0424 said:
Well, I can understand that some people feel that certain fish should remain in the ocean but I bet a few years back some people thought it was unheard of to keep salt water fish in a home aquarium at all. As new technology becomes available the entire saltwater fish hobby changes.
I second that. I feel that the hobby of fish keeping (both fresh and salt water) has progressed from the beginning, by some people trying to keep the fish that everyone else said couldn't be kept. With dedication, care, and concern, the fish that we keep now are the results.

1journeyman

doody00 said:
Originally Posted by daj0424
I second that. I feel that the hobby of fish keeping (both fresh and salt water) has progressed from the beginning, by some people trying to keep the fish that everyone else said couldn't be kept. With dedication, care, and concern, the fish that we keep now are the results.
Guys, this is faulty logic and bad science...
You don't progress a hobby by saying "this fish has died countless times so I think I'll try".
This hoby has been advanced by dedicated individuals who have GONE TO THE SOURCE to study the animals in their natural environment.
Now, don't get me wrong, I respect the original poster of this thread. He's already said no one should try this. People ned to listen to that advice.

beadmaker

Their natural diet includes sponges. It maybe expensive but for long term survival there may be some vitamin, mineral, or compound only available in sponges. I would sacrifice a sponge for him. My lfs had one for 6 months then with no warning it died. Other requirements are lots of rock, and plenty of space to swim and hide. Good luck.

tankyou

Moorish Idols are one of the most common fish hereabouts. Where I collect my saltwater I can't throw the pump suction in without hitting one in the head. They thrive in conditions which are far from pristeen (boat harbors and the like).
The one thing I notice is the SG of the water I collect here is much higher than what most people normally maintain (1.028 and yes I use a refractometer). Maybe upping your salinity will help. :thinking:

1journeyman

I was in a couple of pet shops today. One store I went to had one of these beauties. A customer was looking at it and the female employee apologized to him and said "I am so sorry we have him. He's gonna die. We really shouldn't try to sell those." I looked over at them and told her how much I appreciated her saying that.

stdreb27

Hey so I was at the lsf and they had several fish that looked like morish idols. Some they were selling one was in there display. But They didn't say moorish idol what fish looks like one but isn't?

hatessushi

I wonder if something that is getting fed to the MI could slowly be helping it die. Maybe if someone found others that had MI's and made a list of everything they were being fed then maybe it can be determined if there is something there. Maybe it's a strict diet they need, sort of like a mandarin needs pods. So, maybe it's not something that's missing from it's diet but maybe something that should not be in it's diet. Or, maybe it absolutely needs to have a mate of it will die.
Just some thoughts...

v-lioness

I wonder if something that is getting fed to the MI could slowly be helping it die. Maybe if someone found others that had MI's and made a list of everything they were being fed then maybe it can be determined if there is something there. Maybe it's a strict diet they need, sort of like a mandarin needs pods. So, maybe it's not something that's missing from it's diet but maybe something that should not be in it's diet. Or, maybe it absolutely needs to have a mate of it will die.
That is what people are looking for, the MI I had was in a tank 2 years or so, when I sold this MI it was pushing 3 years in a tank........ It was being fed a large variety of food, green and sponge, it was also fed 3-4 times per day. I can only give my experience with this fish.
It was tough keeping the algae under control because they need food and lots of it, IMO this may play an important role with this fish, before I received the MI it was being fed 3-4 times per day. Example: a variety of meaty foods soaked in vitamins lets say 1/3 of the MI diet, 1/3 variety of greens, 1/3 sponge or sponge based food.
This fish is a non stop swimmer day and night, this is why I stress diet and feeding, IMO I could see how the MI could starve to death in a tank that was not mature, to small or fed 1-2 times per day.
This is not a timid fish and can be very bossy in a tank, I sold it because it was going to get stung by a lion, you could see it heading there. Fast swimmer day and night, turns on a dime, it only take one time to get stung.
It went to a mature 150g tank, and was doing great, he had it a few months, one night it jumped into his overflow and died. Now I did not have a jumping problem but it is not uncommon for this fish either.
This MI was not kept in pairs, though they can be sexed it does not always work out, IMO it is tough keeping one, two is not necessary.
Here are the foods I feed or fed, if marked MI at the end, I do not currently feed but did:
Cyclopeez
Frozen Mysis
Spectrum pellets
Formula I & II Pellets
Angel Formula - MI
Sponge - MI - many LFS have sponges that are dieing or exposed to air, they would save these for me and just give them to me for free. Do not be afraid to ask....
Chopped meaty mixture: My meaty mixture is soaked in vitamins before feeding.
Raw Shrimp
Crab
Mahi, Mahi
Shark Steaks
Cray Fish
Ocean Perch
Squid
Octo
Smelt
Flounder
Red Snapper
Frozen Silversides
Frozen Sand Eels
Mussels
Scallops
GREENS:
Nori
Red, Green & Brown algae - MI
Fresh frozen Peas Thawed
Fresh frozen broccoli Thawed
Banana chunks
Orange slices, in a Nori clip
This is not a fish I would encourage buying, I bought mine from another reefer not from a LFS. My LFS did get a male in when I was keeping the female, it was fat and healthy, the did not order it but just received it. They offered it to me for free and I say no. They tried feeding a variety of foods, it was eating great, about three weeks in to it, the MI just died one night. It looked healthy was eating great but died.
Kaye

scarface

I dont know if this may help any but I met a guy in the LFS and he was telling me about the MI because the LFS had one in stock and he went on to say he has kept one in his tank for 4 years and it is still living and what he found that worked for him is to give this fish a large amount of vitamin E in the fish's diet--just thought I would share :happyfish

daj0424

It has been a while so I thought I would give you an update. My moorish idol is still alive and eating great. About a month ago I introduced some damsels and of course ick was introduced to my dispay tank. I took the necessary step to make the fish better and today all my fish are great. I did loose some damsels though.
I am feeding 3-6 times a day. I feed a variety of flake foods and pellets. All different kinds so all the fish get what they need. I also do frozen foods but not too often maybe once every two weeks.
I feel I was extremely lucky to get this fish to eat and acclimate to my tank. I still dont reccomend this to anyone except expert marinists.

ophiura

Please post back in a year.
Many have no problem eating or acclimating, and die mysteriously - fat and otherwise healthy - at about the year mark.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by ophiura
Please post back in a year.
Many have no problem eating or acclimating, and die mysteriously - fat and otherwise healthy - at about the year mark.
Too often this is the case. its a sad thing to have an otherwise perfectly healthy fish just up and die on you.

S

sea angel

how is your moorish doing? I have one and he is picking on the LR and nipping at seaweed, how did you introduce the clams? I am new to this site and find it extremely informative. I too have difficulty finding info on this fish, and was told no big deal for feeding! won't shop ther again, but will do everything I can to save this beautiful fish. he's very active and healthy looking, in a 150gal with a yellow tang and clowns, I appreciate your help and experience, thank you