Calling all experts!!!

chilidog

OK this is a long one.I have a 90 gal reef im setting up and i cant afford MH so im going with 440 watta of VHO.This is a long list of corals i would like to keep.I know i cant have all of em but i wanna see what i can have and cannot.Well heres the list...Anthelia,Pumping Xenia,Carnation Coral,Christmas Tree Coral,Finger leather,Colt Soft Coral,Toadstool leather.Those are the soft corals.These are LPS Brain Coral,Bubble,Torch,Goniopra,Hammer,Plate,Sun Polyp Coral,Candy Cane.I want randon Mushrooms just telle me what mushroom i cant have.I also want some Polyp corals like Colony,Starburst and Glove. I know this is alot in one post bt i know that there ssomeone out there who can answer me.Thank you if ya even read this.

midasblenn

I have a 90 with 440 VHOs and I have a lot of those. The only ones that I see might be tough are the Brain & Candy Cane.
You should be fine with most softies and LPS.
I wouldnt try any SPS though.

reefer44

here is the no list:
Carnation Coral
Christmas Tree
Sunpolyp
and gonipora will do fine if you are planing on a lagoon (meaning high nutrience and dsb).....but if you are running a huge skimmer or phospate remover no gonipora
Brad

cjml

Hello! We have several flower pots-doing quite well with vho. They need good flow and good water quality. And room to spread out. :) They are very pretty in full bloom.
ML

reefer44

no offense cjml.....but putting it literally ginopora need bad water conditions........i have known ppl who have tried them with sps (perfect water....almost exactly nsw levels) and they didnt live.....i know ppl that have had them in lagoons (lagoon type water quality aka soft coral tanks...or lps) and they have thrived........they seem to do best in skimmerless systems with large fuges.....do a search for tanks that have them (or look in Ultimate Marine Aquariums) and you will see that my assumtions are pretty much right...also it seems the same with elegance corals
Brad

cjml

Hello! Well I will let you know - we are in the process of setting up anither tank specifically for flower pots--I really like them. Each to our own! But you are right--they actually naturally exist in a murky low light --not so great water quality. So we shall see.
ML

reefer44

yes......i meant like obsessive skimming.......it should be fine without a large euroreef or a really top quality skimmer (on my sps tank i have 3 skimmers including a 4 foot counter currnet and a large euroreef.....the gonipora would not do very well)
Brad