Calling all Laptop Owners! (Opinions Needed)

alohami

I have a Toshiba Satellite A75-S226 laptop which has been nothing but problems and has been in for service 6 times in two years! I am in the process of trying to get Best Buy to replace it under their no-lemon policy.
So, now I am researching laptops again and am looking for some unbiased opinions on specific brands and/or models. I know Toshiba's were rated pretty well (which is why I chose them in the first place), but I don't think I can bring myself to try them again.
I would appreciate any suggestions of models people are happy with, but I would also like to hear other horror stories so I know which ones to avoid!
THANKS!!!

shogun323

Funny thing. I had the same problem with a Toshiba Satelite and the Best Buy Lemon Law. It was actually my GF's laptop. The model was a poorly engineered and it would overheat and shutoff on a regular basis. I ended up fighting with them and talking to the corporate tech manager in Chicago and making 9 trips in 3 weeks to Best Buy to finally get it resolved.
They probably didnt tell you up front but the deal is when they replace your laptop you get one of comparable specs. What that means is that even though you may have paid $2000 a couple years ago, if the comparable laptop is now $1200, you kiss the $800 goodbye. I'm not saying it isnt fair, I was just told I would be getting a refund.
IMO, If you can work them for a mac, I would do that. If not, I would go with an HP. Then I would give the little geek squad cars the finger everytime they drive by!!!
Good Luck!!

alohami

Shogun, I had the same overheating/random shutdown issues (among others) as you and after a google search I see that we are just two of many with the exact same problems! Definately a poor design and in my opinion the entire A75 series should have been recalled!
I don't even care if I come out on the short end of the stick on the replacement. I will just be happy if I can get a comparable system that works! Right now I pretty much have a $1500.00 paperweight.

imurnamine

Dells suck.
Sony Vaio is the way to go.
I've had mine since 8th grade and it's still working.
This thing traveled across the U.S. with me on various occasions, even on a cruise. It'd been knocked off my bed several times, one hinge is broken and it still works, haha.

shaunda

I have a HP Pavillion dv1000 and I love it. I have been working on several laptops this past two years and I have found that Dell is horrible. There is always some little glitch somewhere and I wasn't very happy with Compaq.

phatford

I will disagree with the don't get a Dell Comments. I would say they have some of the best customer service in the business. Ordering you get what you want not what you will settle for. And the prices are very good. I have had a Dell for almost two years with zero problems. I called them about software issues.
I "upgraded" to an Alienware and had problems from the start. (didn't turn on) customer services sucked. But once I turned the machine in now it actually kicks ass. I have not run into anyone who hasn't had Alienware problems. The good news is that dell bought alienware this year. So maybe they will fix the problems.

soto

Originally Posted by phatford
I will disagree with the don't get a Dell Comments. I would say they have some of the best customer service in the business. Ordering you get what you want not what you will settle for. And the prices are very good. I have had a Dell for almost two years with zero problems. I called them about software issues.
she's being sarcastic. their service is the worst in the industry and that was BEFORE they contracted the "technicians" out of India.

brainrush

Get a Mac Book or a Mac Book Pro (if you need the extra power). They even run windows now if you want to dumb down a VERY SMART machine!
You can't beat a mac for the included software, hardware, reliability, stability, support (like you'll ever need it), and just plain cool factor.
Once you go Mac, you'll never go back!
My first Mac was an Apple IIe, way back in the 80's. Would NEVER even consider a PC.
All of my old macs still run GREAT, I even still have them all...the IIe, a performa, a Powerbook, a G3, and a G5.

J

jdragunas

i love that there are almost no viruses at all! They're incredibly fast and safe. What are you looking to use your computer for mainly? Mac are super-good with music and graphics, so if you're looking for anything having to do with either, it's an even better choice.
and you know what bugs the crap out of me? my hubby calls them "laBtops"!!! It drives me up the wall!!!

J

jdragunas

THANK YOU!!! wtf is "laBtop" anyway??? i don't even know where he got it from, but it makes me want to slap him upside his head everytime he says it!

canisee2

ok i have an acer 5672 aspire model it has the daul core processors and 100 gb hardrive with 1 gb of memory and a really good graphics card but dont get a dell there terribly
hope this helps.

alohami

Thanks for all the input so far. Dell is not an option for me anyway because it will be replaced (hopefully) through the Best Buy no lemon policy. Ironically I am using an older Dell laptop I bought second hand as a back up for my so-called good one. Good enough for internet browsing, but not powerful enough for anything else.
I hadn't really considered a Mac. Simply because I am totally unfamiliar with them. I do find them intriguing, but since all of my applications are windows based I don't know if it would be suitable for me. I'm afraid I wouldn't even know where to begin with one, but definately am not ruling them out.
I am going to be working from home some of the time and mainly using it for accounting, MS Office applications, and some photo and video editing.
I was pretty much decided on going with a Sony Vaio, but after seeing the new HP 9000 series that just came out I am considering that also. Although the fact that it is a brand new series makes me nervous because they haven't been out long enough to see if there are common problems.
Still waiting to hear from Best Buy. I have always been happy with their service in the past, but they are dropping the ball on this one.

ryanlee

Being an IT professional and enthusiast, I would say Lenovo Thinkpad all the way. Sure, you'll need to sell a kidney or two to afford one but they are definatly worth it. Shock resistant hard drive, drainage system, light weight.... Just a few of its many great features, It's pretty much the Cadillac of laptops in my humble opinion.