Calling all Laptop Owners! (Opinions Needed)

ryanlee

Being an IT professional and enthusiast, I would say Lenovo Thinkpad all the way. Sure, you'll need to sell a kidney or two to afford one but they are definatly worth it. Shock resistant hard drive, drainage system, light weight.... Just a few of its many great features, It's pretty much the Cadillac of laptops in my humble opinion.

phixer

How do the Macs compair in price for a similar machine? Have never even used one, might be a dumb question but is the OS similar to Linux?

rykna

Originally Posted by Shaunda
I have a HP Pavillion dv1000 and I love it. I have been working on several laptops this past two years and I have found that Dell is horrible. There is always some little glitch somewhere and I wasn't very happy with Compaq.
Me too I've had mine for ove 3 years. the hp ze4500, nice little computer

alohami

Ok, now you all have me seriously considering a Mac as well. I know NOTHING about them. Do they even work with MS Office and other windows based programs?
In addition to Office, I have several different accounting programs that I need. Would they even be compatible with a Mac? If so, how difficult is it to get them all to "play nice" together? I just don't want to get a Mac and find out I need to get all new software or do a lot of complicated configurations to get them to work.
Update on my no-lemon claim with Best Buy . . . come to find out the person that wrote up my service request when it went in 2 weeks ago didn't do it right. Ugh! So now I had to send it back in again so they can see it still isn't working correctly. The guy who wrote it up this time took care of it properly (I hope) and assured me that there should be no problems because I have plenty in my service history to substantiate my claim. So, they should just verify everything when they receive it and issue a voucher towards a new one right away. Not holding my breath, but hoping it works that way!
I'm mainly considering Sony, HP and Mac. I'm kind of limited because I have to go through Best Buy for replacement and they don't carry some of the other brands.
Anyway, I'd appreciate any additional info from all you happy Mac owners, and keep all the other reviews coming! Thanks everybody! ***)

shogun323

Originally Posted by AlohaMI
Update on my no-lemon claim with Best Buy . . . come to find out the person that wrote up my service request when it went in 2 weeks ago didn't do it right. Ugh! So now I had to send it back in again so they can see it still isn't working correctly. The guy who wrote it up this time took care of it properly (I hope) and assured me that there should be no problems because I have plenty in my service history to substantiate my claim. So, they should just verify everything when they receive it and issue a voucher towards a new one right away. Not holding my breath, but hoping it works that way!
That sounds like the incompitent Best Buy Geek Squad I know!!!!!

rykna

Do you dare buy a mac. My hubby is a QA consulntant...he hates the mac. He has comment that they do work well for smaller tasks and work well in a school room, but stink when it comes for personel use, because they do not allow you to personalize. They come as is and that's what you get.
Go HP HHHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

sugarfox03

I just sold my old HP Laptop (2.5 yrs old) and it was ok. It was slow, but worked for checking email. My boss just bought me (I have to pay him back of course) and new MacBook - I LOVE IT!! I was scared to death of it at first, but in just a week of having it, I am like an old pro...ok, maybe not that good, but I'm better than I was! Its a beautiful machine, has so many neat features (Dashboard!) I'm all for that "once you go Mac, you never go back!" Yep, I'm hooked! I vote MacBook. Its reasonably priced (mine was $1049 with the student discount, and I got a free iPod and printer!) Normally priced the are $1099 for the cheapest with cd burner & camera (which I think is just cool!!), $1299 for the DVD burner, and $1499 for the one with more memory and dvd burner. Or you could go Pro, but those I believe are over $2000. I personalized mine (including a pic that came on the computer for my background - its a pair of clownfish in a green bubble tip anemone!)

reckler

I would stick to a pc if you have learned from a pc. anyway, most software is for a pc and since mac can't figure out how to program the things to sell there own software, now the just made then compatible for pc software. I would stick with pc. atleast you know you will be able to find the works you need for them.

rykna

Originally Posted by reckler
I would stick to a pc if you have learned from a pc. anyway, most software is for a pc and since mac can't figure out how to program the things to sell there own software, now the just made then compatible for pc software. I would stick with pc. atleast you know you will be able to find the works you need for them.

not to mention the switch over the mac programs
all that money wasted when you could be buying cool coral. Now that's the real kicker. :hilarious

kaholic

Originally Posted by reckler

That's a myth. I switched a year ago to macs and everyone said the same thing. There isn't a single program out there that isn't mac compatible, or you wouldn't be able to find a conversion for it. Macs are 1000% better than pc's and I for one am ecstatic I never have to deal with windows again. Once you go mac, you never go back!

lion_crazz

I absolutely love my HP Pavillion laptop. It is super fast, has been 100% reliable, and I got it at a very reasonable price.

brainrush

All of the software you currently have will work just fine (in fact probably faster) on a Mac. No need to buy new software, use complicated converters or anything. Don't listen to all the Mac haters. It's common to hate what you don't know or don't understand

If you notice many of the people who are anti-mac are somehow related to the technical "IT" side of PCs. In my opinion the only reason they don't like macs is becasue if everyone had a mac they would all be out of a job.
All new Macs have a nifty new feature called "Boot Camp." This allows the Mac to "pretend" it is a PC. There is no performace loss, or anything becasue the Mac actually BECOMES a PC while it is running Boot Camp. Therefore all of your old software will be just fine.
Having a new Mac is truly having the best of both worlds.
Like I said earlier you can't beat a Mac for its included software, hardware, and ease of use.
Check out http://www.apple.com/getamac if you want to see more information about the newest mac models. This site does a good job answering questions many PC converts have.