Calling all reefgeeks

wattsupdoc

Most likely, if you follow the procedure I outlined above, your problem will go away. You cannot expect for us to help if you dont post up the parameters. He must remove the fish and do hypo EXACTLY as outlined in the disease section. Going fallow is the ONLY way to rid the tank of Ick. Large water changes until you have changed out twice the water volume will insure you have not left any of the old water. Carbon will clean it up also.

jhawk

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
Most likely, if you follow the procedure I outlined above, your problem will go away. You cannot expect for us to help if you dont post up the parameters. He must remove the fish and do hypo EXACTLY as outlined in the disease section. Going fallow is the ONLY way to rid the tank of Ick. Large water changes until you have changed out twice the water volume will insure you have not left any of the old water. Carbon will clean it up also.
I will see if he can test it again so I can post them for you...The reason he no carbon is that the tank is being treated with kick ick

wattsupdoc

The kick ick is likely the cause of the coral deaths also!
Stop using it, do hypo instaed,. Let the tank run fallow. Remove the kick ick with carbon immediatly.

jhawk

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
Im thinking its the tap water too. If you dont drink it why is he putting it in his reef tank?
Can you give us a stock list? What size tank is it?
75 gallon tank
Percula Clownfish
Royal Gramma
Yellow Tang
about 40 lbs rock and maybe 20 pounds sand

jhawk

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
The kick ick is likely the cause of the coral deaths also!
Stop using it, do hypo instaed,. Let the tank run fallow. Remove the kick ick with carbon immediatly.
Never thought about it

marineiam

good morning
i have a 130 gal reef and fish set up. about 3 months ago had problem with ick and used kick ich per my lfs. let me tell you from experience, do not use it if you have corals, go hypo!!! i lost my entire tank within a few days of treatment with kick ich, i checked water parameters and every thing looked good but ammonia was climbing and fish started dieing, did 25%,50% water changes, carbon in filter but nothing was stopping the slaughter. then corals started going, and worse yet every living thing in my rock started coming out and dieing. i never realized how many critters live in the rock until this happened, there were probably50+. i couldn't believe, in less than a week, i had just wiped out my entire tank. it was devastating. we now have a 29 gal qt for treatment and holding area.
BOTTOM LINE--DO NOT USE KICK ICK. GO HYPO

jhawk

Today he is doing a 20% water change and will do one everyweek till we think all tap water is gone.Not sure how many water changes it will take if you have any idea please tell me.Think I have some free sand coming for his tank just need to come a buddy and get him to bring it over.Hope this works

wattsupdoc

I'd do more than just 20% and do them daily as stated. I wouldn't do much more than 40% at a time. At least do like a 40% then do 20% daily, untill you have changed out at least 2 times his water volume.

ibew

Originally Posted by jhawk
Today he is doing a 20% water change and will do one everyweek till we think all tap water is gone.Not sure how many water changes it will take if you have any idea please tell me.Think I have some free sand coming for his tank just need to come a buddy and get him to bring it over.Hope this works

I would be doing big water changes daily till you get the kick ick out of your tank like stated than the weekly water changes should be on your schedule to do periodically every week for replenishing your trace elements and for you alk and your calcium that gets used up depending on how stocked the tank is. no matter what I would do 10 to 20 percent weekly water changes for ever if you have a reef

ibew

also if didn't already make sure to test what ever salt your using to see were all parameters fall for instance your salt may have low mag or low alk or low cal trust me there isn't a perfect salt out there and yours isn't perfect either make sure to use with RO when testing or it will be inaccurate also do the water change the correct way and you shouldn't have anymore insane problems

jhawk

Originally Posted by Ibew
I would be doing big water changes daily till you get the kick ick out of your tank like stated than the weekly water changes should be on your schedule to do periodically every week for replenishing your trace elements and for you alk and your calcium that gets used up depending on how stocked the tank is. no matter what I would do 10 to 20 percent weekly water changes for ever if you have a reef
Tank is not really stocked yet only a few corals but he is doing what all of us told him to do

jhawk

Originally Posted by Ibew
also if didn't already make sure to test what ever salt your using to see were all parameters fall for instance your salt may have low mag or low alk or low cal trust me there isn't a perfect salt out there and yours isn't perfect either make sure to use with RO when testing or it will be inaccurate also do the water change the correct way and you shouldn't have anymore insane problems

Yes I agree with you and I test. He is still new to all this but has started reading more and has been looking at this web site to learn also he has stoped doing what the LFS told him and started finding out what to do on his own.Just talked to him and told him to get on this page to see what everybody is saying about his tank.