Camaras

N

nemo_66

Let me be the first the say its not the camera, but whos behind it. cameras dont take good pictures, but the person who controls the camera.
and to answer your question, i have a canon xti with a sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro lens. hope that helps.

extinct 1ne

Teh camera I use is about 10 yrs. old. It's an old Sony Cybershot 2.0, I really don't get the best HD quality pictures / videos, but it's fairly decent for its age...

locoyo386

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3081540
What kind of close up shots are we talking about?
Well some people here have posted some amazing pictures. Wish I had the threads to show what I mean. The pictures are so close to the fish, coral or any other criture that you could see almost anything on them. It shows their color really well. That's what I want to be able to do. I currently have a Casio Exlim, that is 6 mega pixels. Not sure if it's that good or not, but the pictures it takes are not even close to par with ome of the ones I have seen here. That is why I want to know what camaras people use that take pictures like that.

jackri

I have a nikon D40 -- takes a nice picture but I could learn how to use it better (alot better)

scsinet

For taking aquarium pictures, a digital SLR is IMO a better choice than a point and shoot. The biggest reason for that is that a SLR generally snaps the picture the instant the shutter button is pressed, where a PaS takes a few moments before it takes. When photographing fast moving subject, this is a critical difference. I never got any good pictures of my tangs until I had an SLR.
Second, a good SLR offers a myriad of features such as ISO adjustments and manual focus. I don't know how to do much with my camera other than manual focus, but I can usually play around blind until it looks good. I also understand that when using a flash to photograph fish, a detached flash located above the tank firing downwards is best, and PaS cameras don't have the option for an external flash.
The megapixel rating doesn't matter much. Anything you get nowadays is going to be at least 6-8, which is plenty.
A Macro Lens is a must if you want to take some real closeup shots of coral polyps and such, but it needs to be a dedicated macro, not one of those macro/telephoto jobs.
I use a Canon Rebel XTi. My macro lens is a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, and my flash unit is an old Sunpak Auto 611.
Like jackri said... I'm out of my league though... I need to learn how to use this stuff in order to really get my money's worth out of it. A few months back there was an issue of Aquarium Fish magazine that had an article on photography for fish tanks... it might be worth digging up.

N

nemo_66

SCSInet, if you dont know how to use your 100mm USM lens, why dont you just give it to me while you get some practice on some of your other lens. lol jp. i wish i had the money for a USM or L lens.

locoyo386

Is SLR a feature on camaras or is it a type of camra? Is ISO what controls the speed of the shutter? I am thinking of looking into a cannon.

patrick8929

digital slr is a type of camera, basically its the kind that you can switch the lenses, i.e. zoom lense, macro lense

scsinet

Originally Posted by patrick8929
http:///forum/post/3081967
digital slr is a type of camera, basically its the kind that you can switch the lenses, i.e. zoom lense, macro lense
What he said.
The biggest names in SLR cameras are Canon and Nikon. Sony is also a biggie, but the fact that they use proprietary memory card technology puts me off them.
There are LOTS of other manufacturers or SLR, but Canon and Nikon have the most accessories, and the biggest thing about SLRs is all the crap you can buy for them. Personally I am a canon fan, always have been, but Nikon makes some very nice stuff and I wouldn't "kick one out of bed."
The biggest thing to keep in mind that the decision over what brand to buy is likely a decision that will last decades. Once you buy your first "kit" (camera body, basic lens, battery, memory card), you'll start buying lenses for it, then one day you'll want to upgrade the camera itself. Since lenses are not interchangeable from one brand/style to another, you'll stick with a body that fits your existing lens inventory. Ergo, RESEARCH HEAVILY, because the first buying decision you make is the biggest in what may be come a serious investment, as it forms the foundation for all subsequent purchases.
Or just buy Canon or Nikon and trust me that you won't be disappointed.

florida joe

I am by no means a photographer but I use a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi Digital camera - SLR - 10.1 Megapixel and I love it. you can shop around on line and get on for under $450.

patrick8929

+1 you cant go wrong with canon or nikon, im thinking about getting the nikon D40, i think its a good starting point and you cant go wrong with nikon, either that one or the D60.

locoyo386

Yeah I have heard the Rebels are awsome, hey if Andea Agassi likes it I sure can bet I will. I will look into the Rebels and see how much I have to learn before I buy one. Thanks to all, great info.

scsinet

Originally Posted by locoyo386
http:///forum/post/3082004
Yeah I have heard the Rebels are awsome, hey if Andea Agassi likes it I sure can bet I will. I will look into the Rebels and see how much I have to learn before I buy one. Thanks to all, great info.
Well if I were going to buy a Canon because of endorsements, I'd buy one because Maria Sharapova pitches them.