Camera Question for RyeBread

trompet3

Hey Rye. Being the resident camera expert, I've got a question.
I just got a digital camera (G3) and was wondering how I can take a high resolution image (ie 4 mp) and reduce it in size to lets say a 4x6, while preserving the same image quality. I know I can take a lower resolution pic, but that's not what I want. I have photoshop 5.0 which came with the camera if this helps, as well as the canon software, but from what I can tell, it's useless for this purpose.
Also, how do I get the image to a smaller file to post on this site?
Thanks for your help!

ryebread

Hello there-
Good camera choice.:)
Photoshop 5.0 should be able to handle the task. What you are going to have to do is find the CROP feature and put in the size that you are looking to achieve. Normally when you try to crop, it will just give a cropping marquee tool but, if you find the area (should be up top somewhere) to type in the size........you are in like Flynn.
You can also use the SAVE FOR WEB feature to cut down file sizes small enough to post pics on here. Another option is to find a web hosting service that you can put photos on.......use the image tag feature to post pics in your message.......this enables you to post higher resolution pics.
Info on the image tag feature can be found in the VB Code section of this site.
Adding Images
To include a picture or graphic within the body of your message, you can simply surround the address of the image as shown here:

Note that the http:// part of the image URL is required for the

slothy

the tag is this (the little img button does it too)
PHP Code:
Code:
[code]
[img]http://www.yourwebserver.com/yourimage.jpg[/IMG]
[/code]

trompet3

Thank you both.
One problem though...my version of photoshop is 5.0 limited edition. What I have now found out is that this "limited edition" literally means "limited" unlike most products marked LE which are usually better! So, I could not find the save for web feature or the crop feature you mentioned. The only crop feature you can use is under the subcategory "image" and it remains grayed out until you "select all" of the picture. If I do this and then click on the crop option under the "image" pull down menu, it doesn't do anything. I just see the image in the layer panel flicker to a b&w checkered image and then go back. So I have no idea what that feature does.
What I did do was go under the "image" pull down menu and selected "image size...". You can then either change the pixel dimensions or the print size. I changed the print size to 4" height and because I wanted to preserve the proportions, the width is 5.335" automatically. This then changed the pixel dimentions automatically as well. Will this effect the image quality? Does this essentially do the same thing as you were telling me to do?
Now in order to get the file size down enough to post on this site I need to know which I should do...1.) When saving the file, after naming it, I am asked at what quality to save the jpg at. I could save it to a lower quality and this will get the size down. I'm not sure it the image would show up huge on this site though. 2.) or I could cut the image size down further. If so, what pixel dimension would be the best size to reduce it to?
Thanks for your help and any others who want to reply to this. I may try posting a pic or two to try in the mean time, but still please reply to the above nonetheless.

trompet3

ok, first pic is 600x450 higher quality jpg and second is 1419x1064 lower quality. Obviously 600x450 is nice, but nonetheless, what would be the max ideal size?

trompet3

oops, I also forgot to ask if there are any free web hosting services and if so, what's the best one? And if linking the image to that site, does the image size need to be constrained to either the 100kb max for attachements, or the ~600x450 size?
Sorry for all the questions, new with the digital cam stuff.
Thanks again!

bigfoot

The easiest way to make the image smaller is to go to image, then "image size". Simply make the demensions what you want where it says "print size". Just leave the resolution the same and picture quality wont be lost.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Now that is a really cute pic.
Is there a software program that comes with the camera you get that will do all this stuff, or do I need to be looking for something extra to buy??
Rye???

trompet3

My camera came with their own organizing and editing software, as well as with photoshop 5.0 LE. I was surprised with the photoshop inclusion...bonus!
I'm sure most cameras come with their own versions of editing software, but I should defer to Rye on this one.
Here's an even cuter picture...

slothy

haahha that last pic is funny has hell.. bug eye clown :)
beth.. most cameras come with some type of editing software.. some better than others.. but u can get photoshop elements for about 80 bucks online (prob cheaper).. which does just about everything the full version of ps 7 does (500-600 bucks)