Camera Question

1guydude

So im looking at cameras on the dreaded CL today and i was wondering about the lenses....
The higher the number (mm) the more zoom i get right? Obviously this will be for taking some sweet micro and macro shoots (is their a diff lol)!
I found some nice cameras for decent prices but i need more info and any tips are appreciated! I think i want a newer one that is digital such as the canon 40d or 50d but idk i like the rebel too....
I just dont want some older school one that i wont have a clue how to use!

bubblegurl

Ha, my turn! I've got a nikon dslr 3100 with got a 18-55 mm lens on it but can interchange. I'm still learning how to use it and have taken a course, but it takes amazing pics. Worth the investment! LEDs on tank make lighting a bit harder to figure out tho. GL

acrylic51

You might want to post this up in the photography section. Cranberry is really good with camera info and tips as well. I have the 40D, and love the camera but know nothing about all the features and stuff!!!

I dont know much about the Canon cameras (I'm a Nikon guy), but I do know alot about photography. One thing to look at when thinking about lenses for macro photography is not so much their zoom... but their min. focus distance. You could have a 600mm lens but it wouldn't do you a whole lot of good if the min focus distance is 19 feet.

For my macro photography I use one of two lenses. I have a Sigma 105mm macro lens and I have a walk around lens that is a Tamron 28/300 macro. The Tamron will focus down to around 19 inches. If I add a few accessories to it... I can almost get the buggers in a bugs nose.
The only fish photography I have is not of saltwater but African Cichlids... and I have other photography that will blow you away... but I don't know if it's permited to be posted. Still learning the ropes here.
If you have any photography questions... Im more than happy to help.
I shoot with a Nikon D90 and I shoot 100% manual. No auto settings for me. If the image doesn't turn out... it's my fault. If the image is a wall hanger.. once again... I get to take credit.

1guydude

k thxs! Good stuff...so min focus...something to look at...im guessing the closer the better??? Still learning about these lil machines! Way better than my nikon digital! LOL
I was looking at the D50s and D60s i think they were canons though not sure!
Ur allowed to post pics! Sure...just no other reef forum links or nothin!

Yep... the closer the better. I would also stick with name brand lenses. Remember...you can have the best camera body around, but if your shooting thru crappy glass... you get crappy images. Personally... I'd only buy Nikkor, Canon, Tamron, or Sigma glass. In my collection of lenses... I only have Tamron and Sigma. Nikkor is just too pricey and to the naked eye... I cant tell a difference between the images with theirs vs. Tamron or Sigma.
D50 or D60's would be a Nikon. Canon puts the D after the number... not before.
There are things you can do to help your lenes focus closer, but that will cost $$$'s as well. I can tell you this... If you think saltwater tanks is an expensive hobby.... you haven't seen anything yet if you really want to get into photography.
Yeah... I saw in a Mods sig something about posting links to other forums and stuff.... so I didn't know if they allowed. Guess I'll take a leap of faith.
Cottonmouth

Skunk

American Toad

Honey Bee

Praying Mantis

White Lilly

teresaq

Very nice. I have a nikon d40, but have really figured out how to really use it to its full potential. I can get good pics, but know I could do better. I would love a better micro lens. I shoot everything with my 55-200 mm lens

1guydude

Very nice!
Those are indeed some great pics....i want to one day take pics like that but of my sw stuff! LOL
Animals are awsome, is that mainly wat u take photos of?
I like the mantis shot too, im thinkin of setting up a terranium for em...lol
i know where i can get mantis eggs at a petstore/lfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///t/387661/camera-question#post_3416005
Very nice. I have a nikon d40, but have really figured out how to really use it to its full potential. I can get good pics, but know I could do better. I would love a better micro lens. I shoot everything with my 55-200 mm lens
I'm just learning about saltwater so I cant be of any help there.... but I can definitely be of help when it comes to photography.
If you dont want to spring for a new macro lens, look at getting a set of extension tubes. These are just hollow tubes that you attach between your lens and camera body. These tubes will allow you to get physically closer to your subject which in turn makes for a larger image in the frame.
Couple of things to keep in mind about extension tubes. If you shoot in auto make sure the tubes you're looking at have the contact points for the lens and body. Some of the lower end tubes may not. When using extension tubes you also loose 1-2 stops of light, but you can easily compensate with a change of settings. Also when using the tubes you wont be able to focus into infinity.... They work well for close up photography, but you'll have to take them off if you want to shoot anything more than a few feet away.
If anyone has any questions... Im more than willing to help where I can. Feel free to PM me if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///t/387661/camera-question#post_3416023
Very nice!
Those are indeed some great pics....i want to one day take pics like that but of my sw stuff! LOL
Animals are awsome, is that mainly wat u take photos of?
I like the mantis shot too, im thinkin of setting up a terranium for em...lol
i know where i can get mantis eggs at a petstore/lfs
I do a bit of people photoragphy. I just finished up a photo shoot for a guys Senior Pictures, and some of my past people photoraphy has won awards.
My passion is nature photography. That is what I shoot about 98% of the time. I love being able to show my viewers something they may not normally get to see.
Like down the throat of a venomous snake

Or the hairs on the back of a Long-legged fly. The fly is only about 1/4 of an inch long so this is some serious macro work.

How many folks would have missed this while walking down the trail? When Im out doing photography, I look for the small stuff as well as the large and there are times when you just have to stop to smell the flowers.

The beautiful colors of an African Cichlid

Or hiking around the edge of the lake so you can get that perfect shot of water, fall colors, and the sky.

Or how about a snake laying on her eggs

And I'll top it off with just simply Majestic!!!

Like I said.... nature photography is my passion. For me it doesn't matter if it's a small little mushroom on the forrest floor or using my big lens to photograph wolves.

1guydude

well ur darn good at it man! Keep it up! I may be back for more question before i buy to get ur "professional" opinion

S

saxman

One thing I can say about the 40D is that they have an inherent backplane focusing issue (Renee went thru 3 of them, and finally had to send the last one to Canon for repair since the replacements were all similar). This is likely the reason they followed it with the 50D so quickly. At my suggestion, she sold the 40D, and got out of the "mid-level" cameras. She now uses a 5D Mk II. Her two most-used lenses are her 100mm f 2.8 1:1 macro and her 50mm f1.4 (i think that's what the max aperture is). Both lenses are Canon glass, altho she's looking at one of the L-series zooms ATM.
As mentioned, definitely invest your money in good glass.
She likes Canon, and this is her 4th one.

1guydude

I was told to stay away from the L lenses...on another forum!
Couldnt tell u why lol...dont even know wat it is!

S

saxman

L series lenses are PRICY...that's probably why. The lens Renee is saving up for runs about $1400...
It also depends on which camera you're using, as according to Renee, some of the lens features may not be 100% compatible with all of the Canon DSLR's.
Personally, I like MY camera: "Hey babe, I need a photo of ______________, would you shoot one for me?"

1guydude

LOL

ya our situation is the other way around...
if i get a nicer camera, she can just have my lil digital one!

S

saxman

Actually, my camera is Renee's old digital rebel (like a 300D or something), so I got a hand-me-down!