camera settings

J

jstdv8

could you guys give me some quick ideas for tking pictures of fast moving fish what settings on my canon Ti2 I should be using?
I'm just using the factory lens for now. I'm shooting in raw mode so I can adjust the White balance later.
just need to know what I should be looking for roughly for an F stop and the 1/80 thing
and is 400 ok for exposure or should I be using somehting different there too?

1600 iso should work fine. You can always use the "sports" mode on that camera for crisp shots. On and SLR, about the only way to get really crisp shots is a tri-pod. You can pick one up for about 20 bucks at walmart, they make a world of difference.
I had that camera as well, it is an excellent camera. Make sure you get a Class 10 SDHC card as well, they make a difference on your reaction time to picture as well. I picked up an 8 gig at Walmart for around 50 dollars I think.

sammhenry

That camera should make great photos. One key is the lens! There are numbers on your lens like 3.5-5.6 or something like that. Set the camera to aperture priority and set to lowest aperture...such as 3.5. If your lens goes down lower (most kit lens do not), set it at the lowest number. By doing this you are opening up the lens to its largest opening letting in as much light as possible. Set ISO to 1600. You could try 2000 but photos might look grainy. Put camera on tripod if you are using slower than a 1/60th of a second shutter speed. Good luck.
Sam

grians

I have to agree that the most basic way to approach this is to use a the sports mode on the wheel of your camera but that does not present you with a lot of options you could tinker on. But you will be able to pan moving fish in general.
I do not think that a high class sdhc would make any difference though. I think that saving or access time would be faster but that would not help in case of taking stills.