Can a DSB be too deep?

hairtrigger

Yeah. Just curious. Mine is about 6-7 inches in some places. But, I think it is seriously lacking in detrivores such as worms, pods, etc. That could be the problem, and not the depth. Just curious though. Cause Im battling cyano on the DSB only. Yes, I know that low flow, phosphates, and light can be factors. But I have eliminated these things. As well as dissolved nutrients. Thanks y'all. :cool:

hairtrigger

Thanks wamp. Yeah, I dont think I have had enough pod populations or worms, or the other detrivores I listed breed enough. I may have to suck it up and buy a kit. Because I cant find any other reason for this cyano. And once it is almost gone, it reappears immediately. It doesnt touch the rocks or the glass, but it grows to blanket the entire sandbed. Plus, in almost a year, I havent really seen any worms or pods. All I see is my cleaner crabs, and stars, snails, etc. Just off the top of your head, would you consider this a factor?

hairtrigger

Ok, sorry, I gotta bump this. It's been more than a day. However... nevermind. I don't want to jinx my cyano progress, so I don't want to tell you yet! :D

hairtrigger

Well, I have about 6-7 inches of fine grade aragonite. The DSB has been established for about 3 or 4 months maybe. I used the dry dead aragonite to seedabout 5-6 inches of it. Then I used live sand to seed the rest. Stars: 3 brittles. Snails: A bunch of astreas. And a bunch of ceriths. Some nassarius. Few. Crabs: About 20 or so emrald crabs. A bunch of scarlett hermits. That's all.
Yeah, I am pretty sure ATL has some reef clubs. I am definitely curious about those kits. But I don't know anyone who has used or tried one. I need some testimony. :D But, I have most of the danged cyano picked off the DSB by hand. Now I have the lights off to help out. Ugh. :mad:

marinemarty

I ordered one of those DSB kits, must say the quality was great but pricey. But i have a ton of visible bugs in my refuge and way too many worms, bristle and spagetti. my fuge has loads of pods too. HTH
Martin