Can a foxface sting other fish

Can a foxface sting another fish. My flame cardinal, which has been an extremely hardy fish, has become critically ill. He has a large black mark under his mouth and has now turned a pale color. He was lying upside down in the tank. Any ideas???

mike j

I doubt it would be from the foxface. From foxfaces I have seen, they don't seem interested in other fish and use their venom only on aggressive fish that try to attack it. My LFS has a bicolor foxface that has been with several sharks without a problem, none of the other fish pick on it. I doubt your cardinal would have the guts to make a run at your foxface and I doubt even more that your foxface attacked the cardinal for no reason.

luvluv

a foxface is actually a parrot fish and yes tdhey can sting!!! i think though they only do this when they are being attacked themselfs. i have had mine for several years and he has never attacked any other fish in my tank even when the other seem somewhat aggressive to him. i agree that it problely wasnt the faxface that did this