Can a Lawnmower and Redlip Blenny be added together in a 90g reef?

h2con

I'm going to be placing a order here for a Lawnmower Blenny and a few corals for my 90g reef with 110lbs live rock. One of the free options for my order is a Redlip Blenny. If I got the two blennies and added them at the same time in the tank would it be a problem?

E

eric b 125

do you have a sump? how long has your tank been running? you have a good bit of LR in your tank, which is good, but i'm always leary about adding more than one pod-eating fish, especially if you dont run a fuge in your system. you could do it, but if you dont have a fuge where the pods can reproduce then you are dealing with fish that are going to feed off a finite amount of food. you could always buy pods from your LFS, but they are expensive, like $20 for 400 and these fish go through them pretty quickly

jarodw45

Both blennies mentioned are primarily algae eaters and I have had both. The redlip I had was pretty aggressive and the lawnmower was pretty docile but they were not housed together. Sorry not much help.

h2con

My tank has been up almost 3 years. I have a 10g refugium and a sump setup. I was just wondering if they would not get along together? I guess I could try and if the don't I'll move one into my 55g reef. If I could catch one?

hlcroghan

The redlip is the most aggressive blenny there is in the hobby IMO and actually has canines in his mouth to use in fights or during flight away from predators.....it is a carnivore......the LB is an algae eater and has comblike teeth to remove algae from rocks........if they fight you will probably lose the LB..........
Both are extremely territorial to other bottom dwellers.
If you do it, you will have to add them both at the same time, make sure they get put on opposite sides of the tank, make sure you have tons of caves for them to hide in and be prepared to remove the LB to the other tank ASAP.....

ca161406

Originally Posted by Eric B 125
http:///forum/post/2999955
do you have a sump? how long has your tank been running? you have a good bit of LR in your tank, which is good, but i'm always leary about adding more than one pod-eating fish, especially if you dont run a fuge in your system. you could do it, but if you dont have a fuge where the pods can reproduce then you are dealing with fish that are going to feed off a finite amount of food. you could always buy pods from your LFS, but they are expensive, like $20 for 400 and these fish go through them pretty quickly
LMBs eat pods?

E

eric b 125

yeah, sorry about that. i had 2 scooter blennies that got super skinny in my 125 because there weren't enough pods. for some reason i always get lawnmower blennies and scooter blennies confused. that's my fault, sorry for the misinformation