Can a Refugium be made of Black Acrylic?

option720

I am looking into making a hang on refugium exactly like the CPR Aqua*fuge. My question is can i use black acrylic instead of clear acrylic. Since it will be lit 24/7 i don't want a bright light illuminating the wall behind my tank when the rest of the room is dark. Thoughts and suggestion appreciated.
www.geocities.com/option720/sump.html
[ December 12, 2001: Message edited by: option720 ]

hondo

no reason black would not work. I have the hang on CPR unit and there is definitely a light issue. Not just lighting the wall behind the tank but because the thing is made of plex light travels through it's edges right into the tank like two small penlights at the point where the plastic brackets hang on the tank. Gives the impression of moonlight but to be honest I would prefer the tank to be completely dark.

option720

Trigger-
Thanks...the skimmer was a fun experiment with Acrylic and i figure since that project was a tremendous success that i would give the HO Refugium a try. I get a bit bumbed useing black plex because you know with reefing....you always want to see whats going on. Thanks for the thoughts.
www.geocities.com/option720/sump.html

csufman

Option 720,
Thant is a nice looking skimmer. Do you have any plans for that. I am interested in using your design. If so, can you email me at csufman@yahoo.com. Thanks.
Jeff

option720

Trigga-
I got the tubes at a store called Tap Plastics. There is on located in the Bay Area. Here is the Address
154 S. Van Ness
San Francisco CA 94103
Open: Mon-Fri 8 to 6, Sat 9 to 5.
415.864.7360 (tel)
Total Cost for Acrylic was around 50 bucks.
The Beckett injection head cost around 30 bucks.
The gate valve was 15 bucks.
Email me at option720@yahoo.com if you want some rough plans i have drawn up.