Can Acros Be Exposed To Air???

kevin34

Just wondering because during a water change my aquascaping doesnt stay submerged. I do plan on getting acros and placing them up high in the tank. Will it kill them to be exposed to air during a water change?

S

saltycrab

They can and will be fine. I have seen a couple videos of reefs at low tide that are exposed and the acros all look healthy. Mine are out of water for a few minutes when I frag them and wait for the super glue to dry and they do alright.

maxalmon

I read somewhere that on some sps corals, the slime they excrete can be a natural UV inhibitor. When they are exposed to air, it's a natural process for self preservation and how they survive low tide.

kevin34

can anyone tell me how bad they smell? haha I havnt heard good things. I have heard people say that all SPS stink but I have a monticap and that gave off no odor. Is it just acros?

spiderwoman

They have a sweet smell, hard to explain. I can't stand it, it reminds me of some of the phyto liquids I have... dark green smell.

stanlalee

some places ship them in a damp paper towel. out of water is no problem as long as they are damp.
Acros smell disqusting! its a smell you forget about until you get a new one to tinker with out of water.