can any one help me?

memphisdank

hello all, i am very new to the world of salt water.. this weekend coming up, i am going to buy a 29g tank that comes with everything to start a saltwater tank... what do i need to know before i go buy some cool fish to put in it?

jennlegend

Hello and welcome!! I am new to SW, also...I have 2 tanks that just finished cycling. My advice would be to read as much on the message board as possible. I have learned SOOOO much from reading the threads on here! I only wish I had found this site before I started my tanks! I would also suggest (as everyone else probably will, too) to buy a good book. I have seen a lot of people on here recommend The Conscientious Marine Aquarist...I bought it myself and it has been quite helpful!
Best of luck to you!

striker

Welcome aboard! A good book will provide you with a better overall understanding of sw and reef tanks and give you a basis to start off. Unfortunately when I first started out I bought an older book which provided me with outdated material. Before venturing into sw and reef tanks read the message boards and archives to get a better understanding of the biological and mechanical needs your tank will need. Check on substrate (crushed coral and live sand), lr info, filters and skimmers and lighting. You don't want to start out and then regret any of your decisions. Live sand and lr are highly recommended on the boards and myself (they have been great for me so far). Patience is the key to this hobby. Without it you will get frustrated, lose money and have many deaths on your hands. Don't trust in your local fish store too much because they stand to make a profit from you. When in doubt ask questions. I'll give you a quick breakdown of my 29 gallon to give you an idea of a reef tank(so far pretty succesfull). lr - 70lbs, ls 4-5 inches, 2 95 watt vho lighting, 3 powerheads and two overflow penguin filters for water movement, bak-pak skimmer(just run it for movement now), heater and a 15% water change every 2 months. Every system is different and nothing is written in stone but you will have guidelines that can help you along the way. Good luck and hope this helped.

fishfanny79

Just a quick question Striker, do you HAVE to have the overflows for a reef tank? I will be setting mine up shortly, and all I had planned was the powerheads. (I hate the look of the overback filters - especially since I don't want the thank 8 inches from the wall)

donkeykong

what is included in "29g tank that comes with everything to start a saltwater tank"?
You may be paying for things that you dont need.
Definitly read about THE CYCLE.
and read about everything you can read about. Then ask if you dont understand something you read. The more knowledge you have the better of you are

javatech

Originally posted by memphisdank
hello all, i am very new to the world of salt water.. this weekend coming up, i am going to buy a 29g tank that comes with everything to start a saltwater tank... what do i need to know before i go buy some cool fish to put in it?

if you are talking about one of the kit's like at ***** or such don't get it you would be better off geting your tank at the store and all of your other things on line like at big al's or such
***** some *****'s have tank's for $1 a gal till the 30th

richard rendos

If you are from Memphis, TN (I assume from the screen name), go to Kermit's Reef in Cordova. It is on Macon Rd off of Germantown Rd. They will help you out and answer all your questions. Plus you will see a really nice salt water store.

striker

Hello again fishfan. Overflows are not needed for a sw tank but I personaly like them because I like to run a fresh carbon filter once every month or two. They also help my tank with surface agitation and movement. If you're going to be using the powerheads then aim a couple towards the surface to help stir it up.