can anyone answer this ?

B

bgreazy50

:help: i was wanting to know if you have some live rock that is no longer living and has been dead or say just sitting around outside of the saltwater for several months, and you reput it back in your setup with some new live rock would the dead become alive eventually from the organisms and sea life moving onto and into the dead rock ? so can dead live rock become alive again ? i have heard from someone that it would ?
anyone who knows thanks alot !!!!!:confused:

premnusb

Yes the "dead" rock will become live again. That is to say that, over time, bacteria will recolonize, and if you put it in with some good quality live rock and keep your chemistry and lighting up to standards, you should get plenty of coraline algae. I put some clean bare base rock in my reef and within three months it was fully covered in coraline. Good luck.

unleashed

accually when i set up my tank i purchased live and dead tank has ben up for about 2 yrs now and all rock is alive.if purchasing dead rock for a tank that is already up and stocked I suggest you cure your rock .depending how much you purchase at a time will detrmine what size container you need to use for curing .not curing the dead rock can result in undesired results in you comminty tank.if you dont know how to cure it just ask and Im sure any one of us can give you some help.

B

bgreazy50

:help: how do i cure the live rock that is now dead ?
i dont have anything else in my aquarium. so i need to cure the dead live rock i have then im thinking about placing it in the aquarium with some live rock and some live sand ? and how do i tell if my water is salty enough? do you have to use a hydrometer ? and ive heard of making a hydrometer, anyone know how to do this ?
thanks, beau

B

bgreazy50

yes i have read books and researched about all this, but i was asking for personal exp. or opinions! thanks though:mad:

gregm779

If there are no animals or corals in the tank I would just put it in there and wait about a month before adding anything. Is it a 5 gallon tank??

Bgreazy,
What he said!
I think you should read your books again. a hydrometer is a rectangular box type thing with numbers on it and a swing arm. This will give you your salinity or specific gravity. I have not heard of anyone making one but there are some pretty good DIY people here.
You should "understand" what your reading and if you have questions you can certainly ask questions here.
That post up there really sounded like you have never read a book and your jumping into this hobby a bit too quickly. You should at least be familiar with the basics, like your question "how do I know how salty it is'?
Also, different kinds of tanks, fish and corals, are cared for differently. You should also read up on lighting. If your gonna have any coral in there.
lastly, if your starting with a 5 gallon, your water perameters can and will change quickly. actually the larger tank the better with salt water. (at least until you have experience)
The question you asked about throwing in the rock and waiting about a month sounds "fishy too". If you mean if that it's alright to add fish then, well answer is .. YOU HAVE to make sure your TANK IS COMPLETELY FINISHED CYCLING" and the way you will know this is by buying a test kit and testing the water . you have to watch the ammonia go up, the nitrites go up and then watch them go down to nothing... then you should be watching your nitrates becuase they come next. It's called "cycling" your tank. VERY IMPORTANT!
Hope this helps... good luck, Kim
P.s. I bought "saltwater tanks for dummies", it was pretty informative. You should also pick up maybe a fish guide, it will tell all about the different fish and their care and compatability.

unleashed

I just happened to get this in an email from another aquarium site. CURING LIVE ROCK
Fill a new trashcan or large plastic tub with saltwater.
Place the new live rock into the tub or trashcan.
Place one or two powerheads into the tub or trashcan with the live rock to create water movement.
Make sure the powerheads are submerged and cannot turn to where they could pump water out of the tub.
After 4-6 days perform a 50% water change on the tub or trashcan.
After 10-14 days you may remove the rock and place it in your aquarium.
Dunk the rock in a clean bucket of saltwater to rinse it off one last time before placing it in your aquarium.
Remember, cured live rock should not have the same pungent smell as uncured rock.
hope that helps