Can anyone ID this?

fishieness

Originally Posted by sign guy
what is that thing that looks like a feather duster
its bad and spreads like wildfire also peps eat it I cant remember the name starts with A
but could this be that?
you are thinking of aiptasia, and no, it is not that.
jamie, it could be zoas. and yes, most gonioporas do have a domed base, but not all of the ones i have seen. and once they are spread out, they do not always look circular, esspecialy if they are wedged in between two rocks like this one has.
i dont believe it is zoas because all the polyps are different lengths. usualy on zoo collonies, the length of the polyp can varry form species to species, but usualy on each colony, all the polyps go to pretty much to same plave, while here it is ore spuratic.
im still sticking with goniopora, but zoas are possible

fishieness

good point I scraped the gonaporo idea cuz they only have 12 or 24 (one or the other)poylps
? maybe im missunderstanding your question...... but the number of polyps that a goniopora will have will vary on the size. lol?

jam1e

good point I scraped the gonaporo idea cuz they only have 12 or 24 (one or the other)poylps

yeah I'm kind of confused by what you mean by that as well

sign guy

Originally Posted by fishieness
? maybe im missunderstanding your question...... but the number of polyps that a goniopora will have will vary on the size. lol?
thats just what I have always heard

jam1e

go to the thread and copy the address from the address bar on the top of your screen then come back here and click paste

sign guy

ohhh, i found it. you are talking about the skirts, not the polyps
skirts?

sign guy

how many little fingers are coming off the flower pot coral? 12= alevopora 24=gonipora. the're not supposed to live too long ive had mine almost a year. feed some mysis every now and again. just a litle bit of encouragement for u.

fishieness

skirts?
yes. the polyps are each stalk with a mouth that you see, the skirts are the little fingers coming off of the polyps surrounding the mouths

viet-tin

Looks like a type of goniopora to me. They are very difficult to maintain but I do remember reading an online RK article about them and the author had pretty good success on keeping a few species alive for years. I do recall him mentioning that you should feed them oyster eggs cyclop-eeze and other small zooplankton 3-5 times per week. They tend to fare better in systems with deep sand refugium and low-no skimming. Your tank should produce zooplankton due to spawing from your micro fauna and skimming will take them out. You should be able to search for that article and it will explain things much better. HTH

sign guy

yes. the polyps are each stalk with a mouth that you see, the skirts are the little fingers coming off of the polyps surrounding the mouths
oh ok thx

dragonboy

It kind of looks like a zoa polyp's but since you said it has a tube it could also be some type of clove coral but hard to tell.