Can Anyone Tell me What These are? Pwease?

raseri

So I have a few pictures, the first one is of these wierd clear kind of guys that are growing on one of my rocks. I have no idea what they are and my boyfriend thinks they are some sort of coral, any ideas?

And with the night lights. You can see the tenticle things better.

The next are what we were told are Xenia, but we aren't too sure cause they don't look like any kind we have seen, they are alot more puffy and fluffy.
They are the pink things right in the middle.

And we have no idea what kinda of brain this is, if anyone could help here also.

And last but not least, I know these are Zoos, but I would love to know what kind.

That picture doesn't bring out the colors as much another picture I have, I'll have to put it up later though.. :/

speg

The first honestly look like aptasia.
The xenia pic has me curious. Do they have the typical little 'hands' that xenia have? Do they pulse at all? Can I get a less blurry pic?
As for the mystery zoas.. I'd say they're pink zoas :) It's realistically useless to try and name them. You could come up with something cute though.... lets call them "Pink Easter Bunny Princess Love sock Zoanthids". :)

speg

as for the brain.. google Lobophyllia hemprichii and see if that looks familiar.

raseri

Yeah those brains look like it. And the reason why I would love to know what kind of Zoos are because I was told when buying the rock that those were pretty rare corals and so I ended up paying alot for a rock of them. The fluffy thing doesn't pulse like xenias and they don't have hand things. They kinda look like a corky finger. My boyfriend thinks someone might have just grew a corky finger onto a piece of rock. I'll get better pics in the morning.

speg

I don't know how rare they are.. but they're very pretty. Yes, thanks, lets get more pics of those "xenia" in question :)

speg

hmm.. by the way.. in the first pic of the 'tentacles'.. does it seem like it's coming out of a hard skeletal base much like a coral with extended tentacles, or do you see a 'foot' like an anemone would have?

btldreef

The first pic is aiptasia.
The zoas are just generic pink zoas that have lost some of their color, you should be able to get the color back and they should turn more pink. Don't go crazy with the designer names of them, you'll make yourself nuts, everyone has they're own name for them.
As for the "xenia", if they don't pulse, my money is on generic clove polyps. Very, very similar to xenia and often considered the same thing. I have some in my tank. They grow like weeds, just like xenia and are good filler corals.

speg

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3256329
The first pic is aiptasia.
The zoas are just generic pink zoas that have lost some of their color, you should be able to get the color back and they should turn more pink. Don't go crazy with the designer names of them, you'll make yourself nuts, everyone has they're own name for them.
As for the "xenia", if they don't pulse, my money is on generic clove polyps. Very, very similar to xenia and often considered the same thing. I have some in my tank. They grow like weeds, just like xenia and are good filler corals.
I agree...
I also agree...
and to me they don't look like xenia or clove polyps at all. Really need a better pic. Clove polyps would be a nice find though, and if they sold them to you at a 'xenia-price' then that's even better :)

handbanana

Anychance of a better pic of the first one? Im just kinda curious cuz I have these and was compleatly convinced it was aip...

raseri

I just added a better picture, I think thats the best I can do. They move alot and my camera sucks, sorry. They closely resemble a corkey finger. It's the big pink puffy thing in the middle of the picture not the aptasia. As for the first one I can try and see if I can get a better picture. The tenticles are clear and white spoted on ours and the hard skeletal base is grey.

raseri

In the middle of that reply I relized you ment the Cup Corals. :p Not the Xenias. So if that is confusing at all sorry!

raseri

Thats the thing.. We aren't sure if they are actually Xenias, we dont think they are.. But maybe they are? We don't know. :p