can aptaisia survive this?

tlk

I bought some lr from someone that was moving out of state that was really nice, but covered in aptasia. I took the rock, used a 1600psi powerwasher on it and then left it out in the sun for around 2 weeks. completely dead rock now right!?? Fastforward 5 weeks and I found one little aptasia growing on that rock. I have NEVER had aptasia in this tank before. I blasted it with boiling salt water to hopefully kill it, but just curious if you think it could have survived or not. Oh yeah, I haven't added anything to my tank since adding that piece of (former) LR.

buzz

If it was outside for 2 weeks, even if there were critters inside the rock, I would think they'd be dead by now.
Perhaps that aiptasia moved off the rock before you pulled it out of the tank? Was it in your tank at all before you put it out in the sun?

tlk

the rock came from the other persons tank, to outside. It was introduced to my tank as dead rock (or so i thought) only after baking in the sun for a few weeks.

D

daniel411

Actually, to my amazement I've just found out from some reliable sources (Fenner and Calfo) that almost all live rock has gone days to over a week of being out of the water. Yet we still get critters, growths, etc.... so yet, I'd say it very well could have survived.

tlk

I would agree if it were days, but we are talking weeks here. Just doesn't seem possible.