Can fish get fat?

c42480

I have a spotted rabbitfish a convict tang and a blue hippo tang and they all look like they are getting bellies Also my madrin looks fat also. I have a few other fish but none of them look as if they have bellies. I feed once a day part of a alage sheet, some pelets, saltwater fish eggs, and some minced shrimp. All is eaten in less than 3 min. The mandrin just constantly feeds on my pod population he tries to eat them all but they just keep on multiplying.
Chuck

earlybird

Yep fish can get fat. Most equate this to being healthy but I don't know if it can cause problems down the road.

c42480

I do not think that im overfeeding there is no left overs and no algae growth really. I hope that it is that a fat fish is a happy one.

michaeltx

actually its the oposite. you may be overfeeding just because they are eating it doesnt mean they were hungry. most fish are opertunistic and will eat as much as they can find when they find a food source becuase in the wild it may be a day or 2 before they find food again. I feed my tank about once a month other than that they forage in and on the rocks been a year now and all the fish doing great.
Mike

petjunkie

I've seen some pretty fat tangs before and rabbitfish are algea eaters also, probably due to not having to swim far to forage but it doesn't sound like you are horribly overfeeding or anything. Your mandarin being fat is a good thing and as long as water quality is good I wouldn't honestly worry, they have such fast metabolisms anyways, you could always start skipping weekends or something.

c42480

I will try skipping a meal or 2 everyonce in a while. The water is great all my anemones and corals are doing great and so are my inverts i do not test as ofter as i should but when i do everything is where it should be.