Can I add a damsel now???

chilidog

I wanna add a damsel fish tomorow.My tanc as of tomorow will have been cycling for 12 days.I know thats not alomg time but the water conditions are fine.these are my results for tonite.And i will be doing a 15% water change tomoro also like i have been doing every 2 days.
Temp-78
S.G-1.022
P.H.-8.2
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-2.5 p.p.m
Amonia-reads 0.25 on red sea test but everyone says that is ofter the case when it is realy 0 when using red sea test kits.
I also tested my lk and it was high.I just wanna get a damsel to learn how to take care of an actual fish and not live rock before i get any more expensive fish,.

denny80688

my only concern is that if you have been doing 15% changes every 2 days the cycle probably didnt start yet... did you see a spike in amonia, nitrates, and nitrites? I would leave the water alone for a week then test it without any water changes...

chilidog

There was a smal spike of 1.0 p.p.m and the nitrites were prery high.Peope said thats because i used semi cured live rock.

muskyhunte

I would give it a week or so with no water changes. Feed the ghost fish in the tank as well, this will help the tank cycle.

E

essop3

I had a very fast cycle, about 2 weeks. I had 60# of live rock. But I still had a spike of about 5ppm ammonia. I would stop doing water changes, put in a shrimp and keep testing it. If it is cycled you wil get normal test results after a few days.

muskyhunte

by feeding the ghost fish this helps cycle your tank. I know it sound like a waste of food but it works. Some people even tye a shrimp or two to a rock and dont do anything to the tank until the shrimp breaks down to nothing. It works. Feed the ghost fish. If you dont belive me post it on the board.

sw65galma

Originally posted by ChiliDog
I wanna add a damsel fish tomorow.My tanc as of tomorow will have been cycling for 12 days.I know thats not alomg time but the water conditions are fine.these are my results for tonite.And i will be doing a 15% water change tomoro also like i have been doing every 2 days.
Temp-78
S.G-1.022
P.H.-8.2
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-2.5 p.p.m
Amonia-reads 0.25 on red sea test but everyone says that is ofter the case when it is realy 0 when using red sea test kits.
I also tested my lk and it was high.I just wanna get a damsel to learn how to take care of an actual fish and not live rock before i get any more expensive fish,.

Hey, Where are ya in Mass?
Here is THE ABSOLUTE MOST IMPORTANT KEY THING To SW FISH. Patience!
You can rush FW and In a day or two toss fish in. Hell I've done it within a few hours of Filling it.
SW you need like a Month, then only add fish at a small pace.
Also too NEVER and I mean NEVER Buy a fish without First Knowing A LOT about it. Compatibility, Care Level, Environmental neeeds.
Don't expect to have a full tank for atleast 6 months.
You can't break the laws of nature, If you try to hurry it, you'll only be spending more money on dead fish.
Good Luck and have fun.
Come here with all your questions.