can i add an achilles tang?

seeweed

i currently have a 120 gallon tank with plenty of live rock, coral, 4-anemones, 3 clowns, yellow tang, hippo tang, long nose hawk fish......Can I add an achilles tang?

I

irenicus

From what I've seen Achillies Tangs are ick magnets. Great Caution should be exercised.

I

irenicus

Yeah Archillies are very disease prone. If you plan on getting one... make sure you qt for awhile. Maybe a round of hyposalinity initially too.

fishtanker

with your current inhabitants the achilles would be to stressed out.
I have my achilles in a 125gal with 2 clowns, a royal gramma, and lwanmower blenny. AHe originally was in the same 125gal with a LN butterfly, yellow boxfish, and hippo tang. i had a major disease outbreak, lost the box and butterfly, returned the hippo and kept the achilles. I've had the achilles for 2-3years now.

ophiura

Achilles tangs, IMO one of the prettiest out there, are kinda like the powder blues, gold rims, etc. I agree that it would be stressed out in there with other tangs. One of those fish that you pick first, and then decide what other fish to put in with it, rather than putting it in to a situation where it will really need to establish itself against other tangs.

lionfish12

Originally posted by tony detroit
IMO achilles are strictly expert only. Is your tank a six footer or a four footer?

:yes:

the mantis

Seaweed....I know you asked a while back about adding a mandarin and I think you added it already but you have to be careful because your tank is new...A mandarin in my eyes is at an expert level and very hard to take care of...I dont think your tank is ready, being only set up for a couple of weeks...:nope:

seeweed

are you schizophrenic -- you said just throw him in....wow i think you are crazy....by the way i read up on the rinopias and you can't put them in your reef tank with all your small fish....i am making sure i get a 2nd opinion when i talk to you.....and take that rinopias out of your tank!! it will kill....:cheer:

seeweed

by the way i connected my metal halights ---i think you set yours tooo close originally because your coral lookd burnt