Can I add another?

moogie

I have a saddleback clown fish and was wondering if I could add another clown to my tank? I have heard yes you can and also no. I would like to hear your experience with this.

invertcrazy

Although it is better to add two at the same time and let them pair off on their own, you could add another one as long as it is another saddleback and it is smaller than the one you have now. You might get a territorial issue with the established clown but once she is confident that the new clown is no threat they will settle down. This period can become quite violent as the bigger clown can beat up on the new one pretty bad. Just be sure that you have alot of hiding spots for the new clown to hide. Also feed the tank just before releasing the new clown and release him with the lights out.
This is just my opinion and i'm sure if anybody has a different way or a better way they will chime in. Good luck
Welcome to the boards.

yearofthenick

Saddlebacks have been known to be the more aggressive of the clowns. If *I* wanted to add another clown, I would add it an monitor it. If the existing clown gets aggressive, you could always take him out. In fact, if you have multiple tanks, or a friend with a tank, it would be good for the aggressive one to spend time outside of your tank. Sometimes fish need a "reset period" where they leave their home tank for a few weeks, and when they return, it's like they've never been there.

moogie

Thanks for you replies and for welcoming me to the boards. I am looking forward to the wealth of knowledge everyone has to offer. There is nothing like the knowledge of true experience.