Can I add more stars??

S

sea_star

So far in my 72 gal, I have a brittlestar and an orange linkia star. Do I have room for any more?

S

sea_star

Anybody? They add so much color and I really want to know if I can buy another one.

jahfeetyun

You can add more starfish in your system as long as you feed them. Feed your starfish rotifers and they'll be happy. Rotifers are also used to feed corals. Basically you'll kill two birds with one stone. Good luck! =)

S

sea_star

Its been up for about 10 months. We're slowly converting it from a fowlr to a reef.

ophiura

Very few seastars can be spot fed. I would not guarantee that feeding rotifers would help as a general rule. Linckia and similar are not filter feeders.
However I see no problem with other brittlestars (avoid the green). No real problems with that.
Other seastars, IMO, are not a good choice. Stick with the one and hope for the best. It takes 18 months to really know how well it is doing anyway as they take upwards of a year to starve (yes, true). But as Linckia and Fromia have similar diets, based on amount of LR, I would be extremely hesitant to add another as it may just speed up the death of both.