Can I add something to a tank cycling for a week with LR from a year old tank-?

G

gtdarock

Hey guys ! My 175 has been cycling for about a week now. It has been running with a refujium,with live sand and about 225 lbs of live rock. 100 lbs of the live rock came from my old 75 that was running for a year. All my reading are 0.Except the Nitrate, its at 40,I was wondering if I can add something-? Maybe a crab,snail. Or for my beginners fish, two perculas-?
Any info would be great ! Thanks !

reefnut

Normally about 4-weeks. There are many factors but if the new 125lbs of LR is still curing it will be about 4-weeks.
It sounds like the cured LR is keeping up with any ammonia/ nitrites from the other rock at this point.

mcbdz

Smelling is a sign of some die off. You still could have a little cycle. Watch for another week and if you don't have a spike try ghost feeding. If you numbers still stay stable for a week then you should beable to do your first water change and add some clean up crew. Not the full crew yet but maybe 1/3. Give them a couple of weeks inthere and keep close eye on water levels and water changes weekly. Since you have already had a tank for a year you know the rest.

I know I'll be the same way when I finally get my 240 set up(it's still in storage). It is so hard to wait. Do the flashlight at night and you may already have some fun life in your tank now. Good luck and enjoy.

sepulatian

Ghost feed the tank. You have quite a bit of rock and sand. Feed until you get an ammonia spike, then pull the food out. See what happens with the ammonia and nitrite. When both are at a steady zero, then you are good.