Can i build a stand around my raw iron ugly stand!

gixxer1000

I have this raw iron stand that holds a 30 inch tank. I am starting a new 20L for my girlfreind. I was wandering if i could some how build a stand around it and i will know for sure it will support the tank.

squidd

Is the metal stand "strong" enough to hold the tank now or are you trying to reinforce/replace it??
If it's strong/stable enough to hold the tank you could just build 3 decorative "panels" and/or a face frame with doors for the front, and then attach them to the iron frame with metal or wooden "clips" in the corners.
If you build the panels out of plywood and attach them directly to the metal stand (screws/bolt through)you may be able to add some stability/stregnth to it.
If it needs much more reinforcement than that you would be better off buying/building a whole new stand.

wyldgunz

Take a length measurement and a width measurement of you existing metal stand.
get some 1/4 inch finish playwood ... one side will be rough the other side will look nice with wood grains and such.
Also get sone 2x4's. You can always take back what you dont use. I would get 8' lengths of 2X4.
First cut some small 2X4 pieces for shims 6" pieces would work.Place one in all 8 sides where the corners are.
Place one 2X4 on the bottom back side of your stand so its sitting on the floor and one in the front same way . You want them so the 4 inch side is vertical. Measure the distance between the boards this will make your bottom side pieces.
Get those cut and put them in place, then mark the front and back boards so that your line is flush with the face of the side boards. That will give you your base. I would also put a board in the middle spanning the front to back to sturdy it up.
next remove the shims you made and measre to the top of the stand from the floor. that will give you your riser pieces. these pieces go in the corners you need 2 pieces on in the front left corner and front side corner so they meet and so on for other corners.
Then you make a box for the top by measuring across the fron sides ect like the bottom one you made and your ready to add the finished plywood panels. you can frame out doors in the fron ams leave the back panelless . its not that tough but if you have a corless drill/driver , combination miter saw , and a tape measure its easy as pie ive made up a good dozen of them for myself and firends.

wyldgunz

If you really want to get into it let me know ill make up some diagrams for you to follow and some pics of mine to give you an idea.

gixxer1000

Yes please make me a digram the stand is for a 29 gallon fish tank. But i have the 20 long. So far what i did with some wood scraps i had laying around. I made kinda like a picture frame. For the front like a square. NO cabinates yet though just the frame. I have to make some sides and the front cabinets. I want to make it look really nice. I hate the just medal stand cause i have a sump. I think this is a great idea. Plese make me a diagram i want to build it tonight. The frame is made of 2x4s that i have so far. Its a 30 inch top and bottom 2x4. then 2 2x4s screwed together for the 2 legs. LIke a picture frame. I was just messin around and i noticed how you can make it you wont even know its a medal stand. Also i dont have to worry much about the sides being top notch wood. Cause the tank is going in my room what use to be my walk in closet. Now is just like a walk in another part of my room. And theres not light besides the tank light. LIke i said before so far i did just to front kinda like the frame but just the front part. BUt the dia. will help me alot thanks.

wyldgunz

You have a miter saw to make mitered edges? or a skill saw? if you know how to do mitered egdes i can help ya out on making it look nice.

gixxer1000

Im sure i do i have to look in the garge through all my dads tools i should have one. But if i dont cant i just make a box around it sort of a decorative coverup. It will look exacly like a stand. I was thinkin in the fron maybe stack 2x2 pine stripes on the front. That is how the stand i was gonna buy for $100 bucks. But this idea just jumped in my head to build a stand around a medal stand.

wyldgunz

Yeah you can make it up just wont be able to trim it out for a fancy look. Id rocomend getting some 2 hole clamps from the hardwear store or home depot.. youll have to get them the right size to go around your metal tank stand legs they are used for putting pipe to a wall or cieling and will work perfect to hold the wood front to the stand.

wyldgunz

I dont have any pics like what you are doing .. i built my 3 stands out of wood so they are solid enclosers with doors and wiring holes. from what im understanding you just want a front made of wood secured to the front of your existing metal stand

gixxer1000

Wow very nice. I did mine today. I used some 2x4s though that my brother got me. I didnt get to stain it cause my local home depot didnt have a mixwax ebony stain. Can you give me the downlow on yours. I used plywood for the doors. Looks like you used 2x2s your your frame. WHats so cool about mine i can acutally pick the whole stand up then you see just the iron stand. Put it back and like magic a stand. Very good to clean the sump and my future refuge. But please tell me what you did. I think im gonna do this again for my next tank.