Can I cut out my center brace from my 135?????

enomadra

Just thought I would through this out their to see if anyone else has ran across it and figured out a way around it.
I have a 135 Gallon 72" Long X 18" Wide X 24" Tall and I want to take out the center brace (which is huge and made of glass). I have heard from others that use the same tank not to put a metal halide above the center brace because it can make it fall off or crack. Does anyone have any ideas what I could do??:thinking:

nas19320

I would not cut the center brace out, they are there for a reason. I saw someone cut the brace on their tank and it began to bow in the center a great deal, they ended up having to put new braces on.

enomadra

Yep you are prob right I guess I will just leave it alone. I wanted to run three 175 MH light but I guess I will just run two 250 MH light on either side then run some 96 watt PC for the blue and 03.
Thanks

K

kpatrick

I run a 250w HQI over my center glass support and nothing has happened. I think the glass support can take the heat but I also run a couple cooling fans which help with the heat issue.

enomadra

I am going to bet running fans for sure so heat should not be an issue.
So If I were to run 3 - 175watt MH light would the center one be of any help, I mean because the light is going through the center brace would the coral benifit from the light at all ?

oyam1

just dont put the coral under the brace.
try 2 65k at the ends and a 20k in the center.
you will ove the look you get.:joy:

My tank has the same dimentions.
I run 2x250 MH
I hav ehad no problem.
There is a "shadow" in the center, but that is where I put my les light loving creatures.
I'm not sure whether the shadow is from the glass or the junk I hav eon it

I would not remove it.

enomadra

Hey Oyam1, and rangermonroe, do you guys have any pictures of your tanks so I can see how they look lit up